Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Love...Really?

Thousands of birds randomly falling out of the sky, shallow earthquakes, floods, plenty fish washing up dead, global warming, planet Nibiru closing in on the earth and the Mayan Prophecies coming true or maybe just the earth doing its thing? Either way, I don’t have an answer and I really couldn’t care less because there is nothing at all I can do about it bar global warming! Here is a pretty interesting website that lists a lot of the dead fish and bird incidents if you are interested…http://tinfoilpalace.eamped.com/2011/01/06/collation-of-dead-birds-and-fish/

But that’s not this weeks email no no no! this weeks email is far more interesting and the cause of much head and heartache for many of this worlds inhabitants. Greetings to you all my dear friends or people who just receive this email and read it because ☺

So Jan almost done, Feb well on its way and look at all you romantics getting all hearty eyed. February the month of love…woop woop. Now before I go on please, please, please, don’t go psycho analyzing me or anything, I have been rejected by puhleeeenty, I haven’t been deeply hurt by a woman, I am not jaded etc etc…promise…

So anyway this year…like last year and a little the year before, I have decided that I will try and get a girlfriend. Yes its out there, I am in the market…well sort of ;) Now many conversations have been had recently around this topic and the methodical approach to this, what about love, you cant control when and who you fall in love with, I vomited in my mouth…slightly.

LOVE?!

I’ve had many a fight with a good mate of mine, Mbumbu, he is properly all heart. If I had to be honest, because that’s what I am…haa.. he has had a very big hand in both of my relationships. Yes that’s right just 2 serious relationships 5 mths and a couple short of 2 years. In both instances I was super keen but also reluctant and its my issue. I confess I am pretty f**ked when it comes to that, and trust you me the older I get the worse it gets, because insane selfishness and routine and familiarity sets in.

Ok so now I have made a conscious decision to give relationships a go. But, Yaw that’s so durr I hear, love blah blah and I’m like love..shmove! Love is a man created emotion, just like anger and elation, those emotions pass and what is left? Wouldn’t you rather have a great foundation upon which to base a relationship bar this fairytale called love? How about compatibility, similar values, similar aspirations, ability to look after you and the family, friendship, because guys and girls lets not fool ourselves, this love thing dies and what’s left is 2 people working together to make this insanely difficult thing called a relationship work.

I think I’d even go as far as say love in any format is overrated emotion and maybe even non existent, but that’s just me, mr practical. I have never been able to get a satisfactory definition for love, so I came up with my own. Yes I have “loved” one lass in my life but my definition of love was I disliked flying but I flew regularly to go and see her, and I was helluva fond of her and I spoke to her frequently, cos she was interesting. Is that love? Or is it rather that we worked well together? I have a good few friends that I actually enjoy shooting the breeze with. We challenge each other, either on the squash courts, tennis courts, touch rugby field, debate and discourse; I thoroughly enjoy my time with them. When we don’t see each other for ages and hook up again its like the old days, nothing has changed. Is that love? I don’t know. They definitely have a huge role to play in my life and they help me in my growth and development and hopefully I in theirs but is it love errr?

Why is it that the practice of arranged marriages work a lot of the time? I don’t know the stats, but I am inclined to think that more succeed than fail, because you have 2 individuals who mentally prepare themselves for a union based on facts rather than emotion…

Family, styling family, I’d do what I can for them when I can or even when I cant. Is that because its obligation, is that because that is what I am supposed to do, is that because its what I want to do or is it this thing we call love?

I am not too convinced. As a human being in many situations we are in control of how we feel. Love, is just another emotion we can control. We build this person or people up to be what we want to see them as and make the emotion snowball into something that becomes uncontrollable, its like inception, an idea is planted and then we evolve it.

Those that really know me, will know that I am an emotional kind of person, so I am not a robot ☺ but there are some fantastical concepts that I deeply question and this notion of love is definitely right up there. People use it as an excuse to motivate irrational and silly behaviour or acts, people hold it so highly that when this created emotion dissolves there is nothing left and guess what happens, how they relate to this person or thing that was the object of their love and affection, suffers perhaps even ends!

There are times that I hoped that I was like all these hearty eyed people floating around, falling so deeply for someone that I am totally vulnerable and in the event that the love dies, I am totally ineffective and non functioning, I drink myself into a stupor eat till I am 150kgs, I contemplate killing myself because I cant live without them….you get the picture?

But ey to each their own ;) So as I said I’m looking see ;)

Birthdays
25th Anna
28th Belinda, Gareth, Sarge, Martin

Maximum respect and big love man ☺

Y

5 comments:

Thabo Hermanus said...

Yaw, you are right it is a controlled emotion. The minute you can define what love is my belief is you are in big trouble! It's not like it is purple, wears a cap, or something visual like that. It's not like it is a feeling that is easy to define either. Like everything else in our lives it is an illusion, a state of mind. So start seeing your partner for all their bad habits, you will get exactly that being who they are. Start seeing your partner for all the good habits, you will get exactly that being who they are. Your arranged marriage I can't comment on, but we are living in times where different cultures are at different stages of being able to honestly say "I've had it, this is not worth it anymore, so I am moving on!". It used to be frowned upon to get divorced, whereas now that is quite normal. Love is just THAT! It is not overrated, it is an experience and HALF though I will tell you that much. Still married 13 years later, still happily married! STILL LOVE MY LIFE, MY WIFE, MY KIDS! My story; use it don't use it!

Kwaiks said...

I would say that love is not a man-made emotion, and neither is anger or elation, for that matter. No, I don't have a definition for love, but as the guy who commented alluded to, you know it when you experience it.

I believe that love is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for a marriage or a good relationship. In other words, you need love and other things to make a marriage work. You listed those other things: compatibility, similar values, similar aspirations, ability to look after you and the family, and friendship (which is also based on a kind of love, BTW).
Actually, I kinda have a definition for love. Without love, the next attractive woman who is or can be a good friend, is compatible with you, and can look after you and your family should be your wife. [Similar values and aspirations pretty much fall under compatibility.] Love is that extra something that would make you choose not just any woman who meets these criteria, but only a few women who do. This "extra something" includes infatuation and lust, but goes beyond that...... Of course, there is a correlation between love and the other things (physical attraction, compatibility, friendship, ability to take care of family): you're more likely to love a woman if she has these other things....but it is not necessarily guaranteed.
In fact, even with friends, there are those you truly love (no infatuation or lust here, LOL), and those you just hang out with because they're good company. You can always tell the difference.

I believe that arranged marriages work for two reasons. Firstly, there's the lottery aspect: there's a decent chance you might just love or grow to love her and vice versa. (But there is an equally decent chance you won't.) Secondly, arranged marriage is often successful in cultures or environments where the aim of marriage isn't necessarily to find a good romantic partner..........these cultures or environments see the value of being in a relationship where the other things are there, although a genuine romantic love may not necessarily be there.

Kwaiks said...

"....the guy who commented....." should be fit4thabo. Sorry, my bad!

Anonymous said...

There is one word that describes love, only one.

Love is a CHOICE.

You being Christian should know this!

Love is a choice, not a feeling or an emotion. Lust, passion, these are feelings. But feelings come and go. Love is a conscious choice one makes about someone else and this outways all forms of physical attraction, personality, etc.

Mark Eck

Kwaiks said...

Mark, I disagree. Yes, love is (probably??) not a feeling or an emotion, but it is definitely NOT a choice! Yes, you can grow to love (or not love) someone. But it's not a choice. Either you love someone or you don't. You can't make yourself love someone. It comes naturally or not.....you can't choose. I've never been able to choose who I love.

Love outways physical attraction and personality. You can love someone without finding them attractive, even if they don't exactly have a great personality.
But no romantic marriage or relationship will work without physical attraction and some compatibility in personalities. None!
- When was the last time you heard of a husband who deeply loves his wife but doesn't find her physically/sexually attractive in any way....and they still have a functioning marriage?
- If a couple have different personalities and can't make compromises to accomodate each other, a romantic relationship wouldn't work!

So, yes, you could argue that love doesn't involve physical attraction and personality. But love is not a choice, and you need physical attraction and personality in addition to love for romance to work.

[The only exception is when one spouse gets a disease or injury that changes personality (eg. Alzheimer's) or physical attractiveness (eg, breast cancer or just ageing). But even in these cases, the love has to have been established before the onset of the disease or injury.]

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...