Friday, November 21, 2008

Once again another addition, Miss Anoka, welcome...hope you find this of some interest to you, if you have any topics you would like discussed please do forward em to me

Ya man, so when we last spoke i said if things worked out i would be off for a bit of a break, but i guess once again the one who watches me came through for me, some call in co-incidence, others Allah, Buddha, money, luck, but I prefer God 

So anyway I managed to sneak in a little deal on Friday afternoon so on Monday I booked my flight and on Tuesday off i went to Thailand for a few days. Armed with only my plane ticket and Visa card, i arrived at Phuket airport, i was pretty excited. I knew more or less where i was going to be heading because a mate of mine, Rudi was already there. Anyway after making my way through the mob of people wanting to offer me hotels, taxi’s mini busses etc, i finally settled on a taxi driver to take me down to Patong Beach, it was a pretty warm day and I hardly sleep on flights so i was knackered and feeling sticky....and when i got to Rudi’s hotel he wasn’t there. Doh?!!! Anyway I dropped my bags at his hotel and ventured to acquaint myself with the area... I realised just then that i was going to really enjoy this place (and it didn’t hurt that Barrack Obama had just won the US elections either)

The only place I have been to in my life where no one was clutching their purses or lock their car doors cos the black man is near. No boss, I even had a name and it wasn’t ni**a  ...is it a shadow? Is it a mountain? No its chocolate man, yes thats right, they called me man...chocolate man.

Jokes aside though what a pleasant place, such good natured hard working people. What a beautiful country??!! I am not much of a water baby but even i was on the clear waters of Thailand, paddling away...properly secured in a tested life jacket ofcourse! Another thing about the place was the food. Stayed in Phuket for 1 night (ordered some suits and jackets, tailor made...quality stuff). Purchased a trip to Koh Phi Phi, dirt cheap it was to get there. Phi Phi was cool but it wasn’t my cuppa tea. There were plenty of foreigners there as well as youngsters. You could walk that whole island flat in 30 minutes or so. Averaged sleep time of about 5am every night. There were only 3 other blacks that i saw, i felt special ;-). Whilst in Phi Phi Rudy and I took a day trip to a few other islands including the one where the beach movie was filmed. It was such brilliant day. 3 days later we headed to an Island called Koh Lanta in Krabi, such a chilled styling place and helluva cheap we bought seafood for 20Bhat for 100g thats about R6/100g hectic!

Hired a scooter for R70 a day and rode the island sut! Yoh. Let me tell you this story. So I was asking what to do for the day and I was told about this lovely waterfall in the south of the island that i should head to. So I am like happy days, helmet on, bony started and off I go. About 30min later i reach the entrance of the path to the waterfall, after kra ping in my pants thanks to an elephant on the side of the road! But i survived. So i make my way past this little hut thinking the waterfall was just around the corner...Hmmm. Now let me tell you that i was travelling solo this afternoon because Rudi went out snorkelling. So i start on this path...all by my lonesome. Let me paint a picture...there is just forest and a river on my left and a little path. I walk for about 15 minutes and don’t encounter a soul. My mind starts racing. What if i get bitten by a snake or a spider or worse... a snake, what if i slip and cant walk...over active imagination, its what happens when you are a middle child. 30 minutes later i come across a couple of people saying you are almost there but its really not all that. I am like bra i have walked this far i may as well continue, oh and i forgot to mention the path lead into the river which was about shin deep with unstable rocks...lovely, wet socks and sneakers, so another 10 min or so later i arrive at my destination...wooow what a sight to behold!!! It was beautiful, it was majestic, it was like nothing i had ever seen before NOOOOTTT!!! What a lame excuse for a waterfall, it was like someone was standing on top of the ‘mountain’ and taking a wee. I shook my head, took a photo and ran back to the entrance...twisting both my ankles in the process but luckily not too badly.

I learnt one thing from that little excursion...survivor is definitely not for me. We returned to Phuket 3 days later where we stayed till we left. Another thing that i learnt from Thailand is that i have nothing to worry about if I ever want to get settled and have little ones with a good woman and i cant crack it in the ‘real’ world ;-) the amount of fat siff old dudes floating around that place with beautiful specimens, it disgusts me and pleases me at the same time. Some might be saying but those dudes have plenty cash, my retort is we met this young lass who didn’t even have a TV, i’ll give her a TV and a Hi Fi...how could she say no? How??

Travelling to places like that where i do a whole lot of nothing always offers me time to read a book and do plenty thinking. I actually read a book called “some of my best friends are white” pretty well written book good laugh . It takes a dig at all of us in this country of ours. Very easy read. But i also did plenty of thinking as i mentioned before. Mainly about what this madness that a lot of us live is all for. I look at the Thai people, just like the Ghanaians i had encountered 2 weeks before and man what good souls they have. How hard working they are. And how content they seem. But then again the grass always looks greener on the other side. But I was thinking sheesh imagine if i had the balls to just say saweet done with this keeping up with the joneses now. I am going to pack it all i, buy myself a little place (on a hilltop ofcourse) and buy a boat to ferry people around....maybe do some accounting work for some island businesses and just live a little. Not that I am not living now, but u get what i mean i hope...wake up with generally happy people all around you, seemingly not too much stress and if you are stressed, I promise you, you wont have to venture far to find a massage 

But in no time it was all over back to work and life in general...The most impetuous thing I think i have ever done, but man one of the best things i have ever done...

Birthdays
4th Tanya and Shashi
6th dear sis Adoma
10th Shanwynn
11th Rachel and Akin
14th Celeste
15th Ylanda and Rowan
16th Kris
18th Federica and Taya
21st Neelesh
22nd Sanguita

Thats me for another week
...Live like today is your last....Y

No comments:

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...