Friday, September 03, 2010

All about me

Spring 2010, what a glorious day it was on the Highveld! The only thing that we needed less of up here was that disgusting layer of smog ☺ but alas, we best take the rough with the smooth not so?

A mate of mine usually has movie screenings at Atlas Studios every first Wednesday of the month. I have just come back from his latest screening, which was a documentary titled Driving with Fanon. Its shot in Freetown, Sierra Leone. It tells the tale of the war in Sierra Leone, using extracts of some of the work of philosopher, psychiatrist, revolutionary, Frantz Fanon as a backdrop. It’s a pretty interesting tale but what really got to me was the story it told, the story of the war, the story of normal people who took to arms because they had had it with governments corruption on all levels and apathy, the government’s constant and systematic attack on the media and journalists, the working class’ revolt. The result we all know was a 11 year conflict that saw many people lose their lives, lose their dignity, women raped, humans maimed and brutalized.

Now I am not saying that SA is at that point as a nation but we have a lot worse things going for us. In their situation it was just the haves and the have nots and the have nots getting increasingly disgruntled, throw in a little evil element, add a bit of greed and self purpose and whala, you have some of the most inhumane atrocities ever committed. But this is in my opinion, not just something that could happen over there, it could well easily happen over here too. We have a nation that is sooo racially fueled! We try and “pollyfiller” our societal mistrust behind one flag when it suits us, but As a nation, we don’t trust each other on the whole. We are just so violent and self serving. We have a case of someone beating another to death with his bare hands. Even though the course of events is not known many people will take sides based on race.

These last few weeks in South Africa have just highlighted how deep rooted and diverse our mistrust of each other is. The unions are striking and to be honest I believe there is more to it than just an extra 1% and R200 more on a housing subsidy. I am not in the shoes of the public servants so forgive me if I may seem to be trivializing the impact these 2 elements will make in their lives, but from where I sit it doesn’t make sense. I particularly snigger at the petrol attendants who want to go on strike…are they on tik? Do they not know that in many countries, the driver gets out of the car, puts in the petrol and pays for it. Their jobs could easily be done away with and then what???

I can’t help but think that there is more to this than just workers getting more money. I hear where they are coming from in light of some of the other things that are happening regarding governments insane expenditure, but I cant help but feel that the unions digging in their heels is a sign of the trade unions trying to show JZ and co who is really in charge. There are reports and rumblings that the youth league, SACP and COSATU are not exactly ecstatic about the goings on in government and the awarding of large contracts to friends and family of the big bosses of this land is driving a chasm between the ruling party and its allies and youth league.

Once again its all about the distrust of each other. How can it be that an alliance formed of 3 different entities can have one entity within it fighting against a system that they are such a big part of

As a firm proponent of true democracy I cannot help but feel disappointed that COPE is in such disarray, because this would have been the most opportune time for them to get their vote gathering campaign on the road, but alas they are fighting each other…I shake my head!!

I read an article on news24 the other day and its so so true and so indicative of where a lot of this country’s (world’s) citizens minds are. The title of the article is “The great SA dream is a nightmare”… http://www.news24.com/Columnists/ChrisMoerdyk/The-great-SA-dream-is-a-nightmare-20100830

All I can say is how true. We have all become so all about meee man. Many of us have felt the brunt of someone else who is all about me. Boyfriend/girlfriend who ventures out of the relationship because its all about what I want. A boss, colleague, business partner who promises much but delivers little, tries to take u for an idiot so they can get ahead, why cos its all about me. The writer makes reference to government, who are all appointed to serve the people yet they need to do it cruising in a BMW or Mercedes Benz, stay in the Michaelangelo, because its all about me and it will make sure I do my job better than if I was driving a 1400 bakkie, yet these self same people expect people to live off R4000 or so a month, live in squalor and take public transport that could be the death of them. A question that one might ask is how effective are a lot of these government officials in positions of power in delivering?

We have public servants striking when people are dying because what I want is more important. Public hospitals like Baragwanath that usually admits thousands of people a day, only admitted a couple of hundred or less last weekend. People are opting to stay home and some are dying, because, well because if they went to the hospitals there is no guarantee that they would be seen to, what a shame!!

Putting forward a protection of information bill because I don’t want you to know how im siphoning money for my personal benefit. Driving down the highway drunk at 150km/hr on my phone because I wanted to have a big party, I have a fast car and I want to get some action tonight, forget you sober person driving at 100km/h, who cares about your life.

The sad thing is that its not just a South African thing. We look at what happened with the financial industry crash a few months ago, just individuals looking out for numero uno.

We look at the US led war to Iraq, what for? 7 years later it ends with no victory, but plenty dead and lots of instability. Yes, one might argue they have the west’s version of democracy but this so called democracy has come at a huge price to the citizens of the land.

We have Michael Schumacher almost running Rubens into the wall, we have Pakistani cricketers throwing games.

Is this stuff normal? Is it just people who haven’t been successful at meaningfully screwing someone over or haven’t yet made their millions that see this as concerning for us as a people?

On the other side of the coin though there are a lot of people that still believe in the human race and are doing their little bit to make sure that we remember what I believe is one of the main reasons we are all on this earth, and that is to make a positive contribution to society. To the men and women out there who in the face of much temptation and provocation turn the other cheek and do the right thing. To those out there who when sitting on a bus and an old lady comes on board, they stand up and give her their seat. To those who help at hospitals when the nurses and doctors are striking. To those who rather take a taxi home when they have been drinking instead of being in a position to pay a bribe. To those who are true to their word…I salute you, and I for one strive to be more like you, especially in a world where its all about me!

Birthdays
22nd Rushda
23rd Jem
26th Gareth, Charl Lombard
29th Francois, Norm, Leila(lynn)
30th Benji
31st Melissa
2nd Gavin
3rd Stu, Wedders, JC

You all take care of yourselves and keep on keeping on. I am a strong believer in the triumph of the human spirit and the best way to make a change is to be that change…Gandhi said it best…be the change you want to see in the world. If you are happy with looting, killing and selfishness, well then you keep on, but if u believe that we can help each other be better people, well it starts with me doesn’t it?

Out of here

Y

No comments:

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...