Ow shucks, I missed you guys the last 2 weeks ey! Hope you have all been well.
2 months into the year and so much drama in the world. I am no prophet of doom or anything but its hard to ignore these things. Massive earthquakes in Argentina, Chile, China, New Zealand that I remember, Insane floods and hurricanes in Australia, floods in Brazil, uprisings in Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Libya, Bahrain. And this isn’t an exhaustive list because there have been a few crazy occurances this year, those are the ones I can remember. It makes you think doesn’t it. The religious amongst us will be quick to refer to the scriptures, the skeptics amongst us will point call it coincidence. Whichever side you sit on you cant ignore the fact that our earth is responding to how we have been treating it and each other…we can change or carry on being, choice is ours!
As it tends to happen when I have some time on my hands, my mind tends to wander into depths sometimes it shouldn’t. And these last few weeks haven’t been any different. But this specific topic that has been boggling my mind isn’t anything new really, but I have been thinking about it a lot lately, must have been because of the 2 weeks I spent hanging with my pops.
This thing called culture or what some people proudly identify as preserving a bloodline, what real purpose does it serve? (funny that when I latch onto a topic I hear it everywhere, they were even discussing it on 702 last night when I was driving home).
On Monday I was having a rap to this Indian lass I know. She was telling me how chuffed she was because she had met a man and he is this that and the next, but but but, she is in limbo because her parents don’t know and they would absolutely flip if they knew. So I asked Shoot is this guy black? Oh wait is he Tamil? She replied he is Tamil. I shook my head. Now these guys are both Indian, maybe second or third generation South African Indian if not more, yet the fact that one is supposedly from a lighter skinned ‘make’ of Indian, which has other nuances which I don’t really profess to know about, it is a no no for them to inter-breed, because the one sect Gujarat’s look down on the Tamils…come now I ask!!
But its not just them we all have it. In Ghana same thing Ashanti’s and norherners. Here Zulu, Sotho, Xhosa….etc etc. There was a time where Afrikaaners and English (souties) people couldn’t mix. Ok I will go with some of the pros of trying to preserve a bloodline…wait there are no pros there but sticking with your own culture I can kind of find see why some people would want to do this. Relating to people is hard generally. Be it in a business sense or in a romantic setting. Its hard bloody work. Throw in the mix different backgrounds, be it religion, race or tribe, then you make it even more difficult. In a way I have kind of seen it happening. Like some of my friends that got involved cross culture, race whatever, struggled with their marriages, but in saying that some survived and flourished. Some of my mates who got married to spouses cut from ‘the same cloth’ seem to work out, more so than not.
Why is this? I will take Ghanaians for example, we are all generally raised very similarly. Growing up in South Africa, the expat Ghanaian families in the Eastern Cape stuck together quite a bit, so we would go visit a lot of the other families and they us and the kids were generally all the same. Parents taught instilled in us basic moral principles and respect for others and adults. Like when the adults spoke brudda man u shut the beep up. When adults were meeting the children were in the other room playing or in the garden, didn’t matter if it was the last episode of A-Team for the season, and it was almost finished, adult came, out of the TV room you would have to go and you don’t even get asked…you go!! Sisters were always with moms in the kitchen when she was doing her thing. On Saturdays and Sundays, I was mowing the lawn, washing the car, polishing pops many shoes. It wasn’t even a discussion it was how it was and that’s how it was for many of my mates growing up, so basically you have the same foundation and you understand each other to a degree. I am not saying that it was right or wrong…it just was.
But there are some such relations that fail. And that’s the thing the world isn’t the world it was when I was growing up. The Kraal mentality and tribal mentality is no more. Those days of being strong Zulus, Afrikaners or Ashantis to defend your land is no longer needed. The world has now become one big country. Next door to me lives an Afrikaans person, behind me a Zimbabwean, across the road an Indian. I go out and I meet Eastern European dancers, Brazillian air hostesses. Work with Greeks, Sothos, English people. Go to university with Ethiopeans, Jamaicans and Americans, yet because of the practices of dead people I am supposed to stick to my own, come on now?!!
Culture has its place in this world, but as a reference point as to what made you this way and the good and the bad that lead to you being as you are. Build on the good and share it with those you interact with and don’t ever repeat the mistakes of the past. This whole thing about sticking to your own holds us back in a world that is so diverse and open, I shake my head when I hear stories like I did on Monday because there are no guarantees in this world, you could find this absolutely great guy/girl from ‘the same cloth’ and you realize that this person is the biggest tool to walk this world, its all an individual thing!
I think its enough of the world being run by dead people and their practices. I am so looking forward to the day I am blessed with little one(s) that I can take to my moms and pops to school, because even though they have some old school ways (which I am slowly working out (or pointing out to) of them) they have plenty to teach a young soul! But so too do I in that the past should be remembered but you must chart your own present and future. Yes I am an Ashanti or South African …and then??!! What have I done to change the world, now to me that is so much more important than the fact that I was born a Christian In Ghana, raised in South Africa, Schooled in Cape Town and Employed in Johannesburg, WHAT HAVE I DONE AND WHO AM I AS A PERSON now that’s the stuff that matters deeply, the rest is all nice to haves!
I’m out!
Birthdays
8th Kwaku, Bibi Hinson
11th Zahir, Zihaad
12th Nonku, Garrin
14th Barbs
16th Jane
17th Nadya
18th Sarah, Lourie, Susan
22nd Kim, Kelly, Victoria, Anja, Lindsay
24th Kirsty and Patrick
25th Liesel, Seemie, Abena
26th Themba, Sarah, Brian, Yaw (me ;)35 who would have thunk??!!)
Easi now
Y
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whose morality is it anyway?
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
So he is a little story to tell. But to begin I need to provide a little context. First off, I am a man of faith, I am either physically a...
No comments:
Post a Comment