What a time to be alive?! Is it because we have so much
access to information and it is almost instantaneous or is the world really
extremely loopy at the moment. When the so-called leader of the free world can
call players who peacefully use their voice to speak for the voiceless and are
called ‘sons of bitches’, yet people who light candles and engage in violence to
protect a discriminatory and racist ideology statues and flag are braded ‘good
people’, a world when said president is more interested in his ratings or ‘bigging
up’ himself instead of sparing a thought for the lives that have been lost in
many a tragedy both natural and otherwise that have befallen his people.
Yes indeed what a time? Greetings dear friends, to think
this is my first post in 2017. And it is already almost mid-October, I keep
asking where is this life rushing to?
Anyway, allow me to bring the conversation home a wee bit shall
we. So, a little while ago I was fortunate enough to travel with Premier Zille
to the land of my birth, Ghana. What a pleasant trip. How grateful i was to properly engage with this lady. Some may call me bonkers, but I have a lot of
respect and admiration for this human, she not only presides over a relatively
well run government, but I believe she has done a whole lot more for this land than a lot of us back seat critics have, granted the same argument may be
used for Mr. Zuma and his ilk, but a stark contrast, in my humble opinion of course is
that if nothing at all, her province and entities it administers, keep amassing clean audits. That in itself is a testament to her government’s ‘proper’ running of affairs in the Western Cape
and her continued desire to do her best for the people.
Whilst on this trip the boss asked me, “what do you think
about my tweet regarding colonialism”. Just asking that question, my opinion, in my mind was an
indication that she still wasn’t convinced that what she said did not deserve the backlash it rightfully received. Yes,
we have Lex coup, Beeemers, Benzs, airports, hospitals, infrastructure etc. on
the continent and these are some of the remnants of colonialism. But my argument
is: Was that the price to pay? Bloody expensive price if you ask me! What says that
given the opportunity, and allowed an equal platform, great African leaders, the
likes of Mandela, Kaunda, Nkrumah and Sankara would not have been able to
implement what they saw abroad on their travels back home upon their return?
Some might argue so why aren’t they being done now? To that I answer clearly we
don’t have a grip on the deep effects of colonialism and apartheid in a very
tribal Africa, trying to live in a democratic world. Singapore, Malaysia and
Vietnam may be getting it ‘right’ or have ‘gotten it right’, but the rulers that
set them on that path may be seen by many to be counter democratic. A country
on this continent that seems to be showing such a trajectory, particularly from
the troubled past from which it has recently come, is Rwanda, but there are few
opinions being bandied around about President Kgame.
Ok so back to my retort to Hells J, my answer is simple really,
right or wrong, being in a position that you hold, what good would ever have
come from that statement, PARTICULARLY taking into consideration that a
majority of this continent and our own citizens STILL suffer the after effects
of this colonialism pooh! She then thought raising the fact that half her
family was unfortunately wiped out by the holocaust as a defence. Which was a
great point for my argument. My argument was this, if you look at the world now,
some of the most protected, powerful and richest people are Jewish, post the
holocaust, Jewish people have their Promised Land, can I EVER say that “legacy
of the holocaust was ONLY negative” I COULD NEVER nor would I EVER want to,
because it serves no purpose. The holocaust was disgustingly despicable PERIOD!!
So now that I have laid the context for this weeks blog…I was
disappointed that given this country’s state and history, someone, in so high
an office doesn’t get it. Sure from the other benches, the only defence is race
for all our country’s ills, but I would think that the boss at least got this
one right? In as much as her party preaches an inclusive, non-racial and equal
society, many members of her party don’t get it nor want to get it hence why I don’t
see myself voting for the party. My argument was further strengthened when one
of the members of our delegation, let’s call him Carel, with whom I struck a
rapport, invited me to come shooting with him. I ain’t no shooter, but I was
like cool sounds ‘lekker’, to which he responded, great we will have dogs and
everything, apprehension overcame me…DOGS?! I exclaimed, to which he gleefully
responded, ag don’t worry you will be ok, you don’t look like a gardener or
nuffing (nothing/anything). That sheet ain’t right on many and any level... Just doesn’t get it. You don't have to be a part of the "Woke brigade" to get it do you
And that my friends is MY summation of the mindset of some (not
all) of the people of this nation. The facts are land was taken from the people,
and the people, unlike the USA are the majority. The people remain
disenfranchised. The people have a government that is largely inept or
overwhelmed, because firstly the system was set up only to cater for a tenth of
the population of this nation and secondly the education offered to some of the
implementers in government spheres doesn’t afford the ability to navigate this
monster that lies ahead. That being said though, it is not that difficult to do
the right thing and some people choose not to on many an occasion. In the event
that the land be handed back to the people, I will more than likely be
castrated for this, but in all likelihood the land will become largely
unproductive. Even though it is the people that work these lands, their ‘masters’
have limited their capacity to only know how to work the land, and not how to
access the markets into which the goods are sold or where the inputs are
purchased and thus allowing them to be merely workers. But the time is coming
when the people will say “I’ve taken all I can stands and I can’t stands no
more” (Yes I just quoted Popeye) and who wins this situation?
Is a more positive solution not for the landowners to
sell/give the land back to government and lease it back linked to a program that
ensures that farm workers are upskilled and at the same time making sure that the
economic welfare of the farmers are protected in some way? Everyone wins in
that instance no? Perhaps I live in an utopian reality, because in as much as
the land owners may currently believe they could be protected for life, no one
ever saw what happened in Zim happening did they? With our unemployment levels
hovering at roughly 27%, our Gini co-efficient at about 0,62 (the closer it
gets to 1 the more uneven the income distribution is, ideally you want it tending
towards 0). So there is wealth in the system, but in the hands of very few, I
think a place like the Sweden/Denmark considered one of the more equal
countries in the world, has a Gini co-efficient of 0,25. This centre cant hold
for too much longer if it isn’t arrested.
A positive solution for the better of the country and all
parties should be formulated. People need to stop protecting their position.
Another conversation that keeps playing itself out in my
head and with anyone willing to engage is the private sector and what role they
have to play in this country. Truth be told, I have very little confidence in
government, whether intentionally or otherwise, we have a knack of scoring own
goals that result in creating environments that diminish confidence and thus people
become afraid to invest in. How do you fire your finance minister and deputy
when the public and international entities see them as doing their best to hold
the fiscus together. Yet don’t see it fit to reshuffle the minister of Social
Development?!
Do I blame the private sector for being cautious with their
cash. HELL NO, but do I want to plead with them to help us out? For sure!! Many
companies are sitting on piles of cash or shipping quite a bit of money
offshore into hard currency because they witness the gross and unabated mismanagement
of public funds which seems to go on with gay abandon, with very little, if any
recourse to persons deemed to be guilty of such behavior. Why should they
invest in such an environment? Well I believe if they don’t, then it becomes a
self-fulfilling prophecy right? No money in the system, more unemployment,
crime and civil disobedience increases. I can’t imagine wanting to participate
in random acts if I am gainfully employed and through such employment I can see
a better future for myself and those around me right? Government’s role in my
mind is not to create employment but to create an environment where employment
can be created. Sure they are failing on their part, but I believe the power of
the rand and those controlling the rand can chart this government’s course. If
in nothing at all pump money into schools and teachers, enterprises that will
benefit your corporations. I really do believe the private sector is quite
powerful in this country, but then again perhaps I live in a world of eternal
bliss….far divorced from reality, but sheet it makes so much sense to me.
I look out of my window and think of how blessed we are to
live in this nation and continent, so blessed with good people and resources.
How easy it would be if we rather took the time to see each other rather than
to see just ourselves.
Anyway, perhaps my Piscean star sign is correct, my life is
but that of a dreamer…
Enjoy the rest of your week!
No comments:
Post a Comment