Monday, August 25, 2025

2025 update - life and health and on we move...

 


So he is a little story to tell. But to begin I need to provide a little context. First off, I am a man of faith, I am either physically at church or online most Sundays. I also know that I am not the one to scream it from the rafters and I may not be as connected as some others. So first things, I called in some re-inforcements like my bro vaughan, my big sis Nana S, Peace, Auntie Georgina and let them do their thing.

I am not sure if you guys know the comedian Bill Burr, anyway in Feb or early March before any of this happened I was listening to him and he was like before 50 things just happen to guys, like oh how is Tom, nah he just died. I was ripped…

I am never sick. I have been to the hospital a few times for about five operations and that’s just to reattach things that I’ve torn off. The only thing that goes into my body is blood pressure pills which recently started. Sometimes I get a little drank and it might be the wee hours in the morning and so we might have like a Sccharff. That is it. Rest of the time, gym or exercise 7 days a week almost every week since who knows when.

In March 2025 I went to Ghana. I came back in a few days later I had a fever. I hadn’t had a fever before my life, even getting Covid, was a laugh, in hindsight, being positive not so much cos it was in the 3rd wave, but I thought malaria so I went to my doctor and he sent me to the tropical disease centre in amsterdam, they did a test and they sent me home. Next week I have more fevers so I went back they were like there’s nothing we can do. They sent me home the following week I had like three fevers a day every day and it was horrible.  At the end of that week it was so bad I had to call the hospital and made my way there, when I went there the doctor on call had a laugh and said cos I have been going to this other hospital best I go home and if it is bad tomorrow I make my way there. Waste of time, but came home took a pracatemamol and handled. Next morning I was fine cos when I had no fever, life was normal, so did my morning routine, church online googled some supplements, and then went to go and get them. DAMN! I felt like an old man, I got the stuff and then I packed a drawstring bag, with one pair of shorts, boxers, and a tee-shirt, toiletries,thinking one night max and im out. When I got to the hospital I was on fire and the person said nah man you aint going home and I was admitted. Then the tests began, pooh, urine, every known tropical disease, 5 malaria tests, hooked up to IV for at least 95% of known isuses for antibiotics. Blood work was still going hay wire. So no disease, no known parasites, no virus cos id either be getting, worse or better and I was just coasting, life was good outside of fevers. 

Prior to going into the hospital there had been a little growth on my face and also a red spot on my leg. So they were like ok let’s maybe see if it is something else so they decided to biopsy these things and also do a full body PET scan to see if there was something more sinister internally. Fortunately all clear internally just a little blood and T-Cell activitiy on the face and subcutaneaous fat on the stomach, which was in line with something called a rare blood disorder called SPTCL, which generally happens in 30 yr olds. This can take many forms. 

I still felt really good, I was working and just carrying on with normal life, the only thing was I was in hospital. They were still figuring it out. It was a Thursday they gave me 20mg of a steroid called Dexamethasone, no fevers on Thursday, 10 days later… on Friday I checked out and haven’t had another fever since. 

Initially for the first month they put me on a whole lot of stuff because the steroids had to be countered with an immune manager and then you become compromised so need suff to watch your insides from infection etc. but that wast working with my bloods, and also all my physical symtoms dissapeared in like a week. Oh by the way my doctor was called Dr. Wondergem, when I saw her name I was like im in good hands. Anyway, so initially cos things went so well so early we veered from protocol a little and dropped some of the steroid treatment maybe a little too early. 

Anyway so every week I go to the hospital draw blood, meet my lovely doctor and do what she says. Been such an experience, some might laugh but one I have quite enjoyed cos it reminds me how fortunate I am to live the life I live, and people actually care. The only challenge I have is that I need to pee every 2 hrs and so that disturbs my sleep,but I have found a way to cope, if I am awake I am awake and I don’t go in to the office as often as used to now. I stay home and sleep if I must. Had a second PET full body scan yeasterday and all clear.

Other health things I decided to do, I was over 100kg most of my life, last year I dropped to 95 for the first time since I was about 20. Through the medication I dropped to 90kg, and I think I want to stay there, what also happened is that I have lifted weigths for almost 30 years straight, so I have decided to give my body a 6 month break. In 2021 I tore my achilles, last year I had to have a shoulder op, had so many niggles. So I am pretty lean till October, then I start to make this lean hopefully look good. So if I look different when you see me this is why 

Easy now


No comments:

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...