Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Just as I was getting back on form, I lose my way. Apologies for last week, but for my sins I was sent to Cape Town for a week to work, sigh, it’s a tough life but it has to be lived by someone I guess. Actually I joke, it wasn’t all fun and games this week, I was supposed to be off on Friday but sorry for me, I had to work. Anyway, hey the company footed the bill for an extra day, so as the saying goes….every cloud…..

New addition to the list…bro Kwaku, welcome to the electronic age…finally!! This week’s topic basically just asked to be written, freaky shaite I tell you. Has it ever happened that you are thinking of or about to call someone and ring ring, they either call or show up at ur doorstep? Have u been pondering something for a long while and you switch on the telly and they have the solution for you, or you open a book and there is the answer? U have been thinking blue or red and you venture outside and the first car you see is blue, every person is wearing blue etc? If you are like me you’d smile, think freaky shaite and write it off to coincidence…or is it really. For some reason I had this conversation at 2 different times with 2 pretty close mates whilst shooting the breeze this weekend. And I feces you not, Dave and I were driving to an area called Blouberg, which is currently experiencing horrific traffic congestions to and from Cape Town, so we were discussing the merits of having a ferry that would cut across from Blouberg to Cape Town to alleviate the traffic pressures and come the Sunday times front page….Ferry set for Cape Town (or something like that), it was an article about a hovercraft ferry which is in the pipelines to run from Blouberg area to the waterfront daily… another similar incident happened on Friday, for some reason we were talking about my crazy “Coolio” hairstyle I used to sport in my youth and I whipped out my drivers licence to show someone, and within an hour later we saw a guy with the exact hairstyle, and in all honesty I don’t think I have ever seen anyone with that hairstyle at least not in the last 4/5 years! And that wasn’t all, I was in town having breakfast with Campbell and I saw a whole bunch of arty type students walking around and I was wondering if I would see my friend Lauren who is in advertising school somewhere, and as we were walking back to the car guess whose car comes hurtling around the corner? That was a ripper!!

Well there is a term for this for of ‘coincidence’ and its termed synchronized swimming…eish sorry, I think the real name is synchronicity. It is a term coined by a Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung, who was at one stage a colleague of Sigmund Freud, but broke away from Freudian psychoanalysis over the issue of the unconscious mind. Jung was a believer in astrology, spiritualism, telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyance and ESP, and I think his beliefs may have clashed with those of Freud’s.

Synchronicities are people, places or events that your soul attracts into your life for one reason or another. This means that there are really no accidents, which would make sense, if you are of the belief that everything happens for a reason. Most of these reasons that your soul attracts beings or objects into your life is to offer you an opportunity to learn lessons which I guess are mostly about spiritual growth and your purpose on this earth. I say spiritual growth and not mental or any other growth, because a lot of these incidents just don’t make logical sense, but over time and through taking a step back you tend to see the lesson or find meaning in the incident…or not J

“synchronicity can be defined as a non-causal but meaningful relationship between events or states of mind within the human psyche and events in the outside world. More simply, we could call it the experiences of “meaningful coincidence”. We have all had experiences that we intuitively recognize as meaningful, though we could be hard pressed to explain them in rational terms. In fact, these “meaningful coincidences” are not coincidences at all but spontaneous realizations of the underlying interconnectedness of all things within the universe.” Laurence Boldt – Tao of abundance

Our lives are filled with coincidences, but it is up to you and your soul to give meaning to these coincidences. At work, at home, at school, at gym, in the bar, the world is offering you and your soul many lessons, but it’s up to us to open our minds and our souls to receive these lessons. De Ja Vu, dreams etc. are all forms of our subconscious mind interacting with our conscious mind.

Next time you bump into someone you haven’t seen in a while or have an experience that fills you with some sort of awe, take time to speak to the person or embrace the experience, you never know what you may learn.

Birthdays
13th Maud
14th Kyle and Will Mapham
15th Kuhle
18th Chetan and Thuli
21st Shareen

Quotes
I like coincidences. They make me wonder about destiny, and whether free will is an illusion or just a matter of perspective. They let me speculate on the idea of some master plan that, from time to time, we're allowed to see out of the corner of our eye. - Chuck

Coincidences are spiritual puns. – GK Chesterton

That’s it for this week, nuff respect

Y

No comments:

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...