Thursday, January 20, 2005

“Country roads, take me home, To the place I belong, West Virginia (South Africa), mountain momma, Take me home, country roads”

My favourite people, whats going on? Hot and sticky here, but u no, what is the alternative, cold and shivering? There is no pleasing the peeps is there?

Speaking of cold and shivering something has been getting a lot of air time of late, that thing is that ‘homecoming revolution’ thing that is being sponsored by FNB they even have a website for those of us who are interested and that is www.homecomingrevolution.co.za. Up until recently I never gave this whole saga much thought, all I thought was mmm nice. Well that was up until I had a conversation with Andrew Gillibrand, who opened my gave me a different perspective on things.

This brain drain/homecoming saga is something that started in about 1994 or maybe just before and it worsened post that. Basically people who saw no future in this country or its ability and the potential during the trying times packed their bags and sailed on to plant their roots elsewhere, thanks to ancestral visas or the ‘blessing’ known by many as a 2 year working visa. The majority of the people leaving the shores of this lovely, yet not perfect land, discarded of their ‘Africanism’, turned their back on ‘their country’ and stepped in pursuit of opportunities, that this country didn’t afford them, in their minds ofcourse.

Some left, many more stayed. Was there chaos, anarchy and disaster, I would answer no. Those that stayed have tried their best to make sure the economy is in the best state it has been in in a crap long time! Many stayed, not only because maybe they had no where else to go, but mainly because they believe they can make this place work…through thick and thin they stuck it out. Together we have brought the Rand to R6:$1 and R11.4 to the pound, interest rates are sitting at 11%, inflation is sitting at between 3%-6%, and UNEMPLOYMENT is sky rocketing.

Now hear my argument. We have a situation in this country where the demand for jobs far exceeds the supply at the moment. What that translates to is a helluva lot of people without employment…agreed? Now, Brian Mkwanazi and Koos van der Merwe have seen this to be the case and here they are slogging it out, trying to make a better life for themselves in this their native land. Wha-la James Potgieter of position x in Big corporation decides to call it a day, he has reached 55, contributed all he could, imparted all the knowledge he could. He has had a good innings now its time to retire. Eureka, an opportunity presents itself, either to fill James’ position or to move everyone up and to create an opening somewhere down the pecking order. Whatever… Brian and Koos are excited there is a gap if they just finish their qualifications get whatever experience they need there is hope… along comes Claude McBain, living in the United Kingdom for the last 11 years, worked at ABN-Ambro, Barclays, Standard, Deutsche etc. he decides hey SA aint all bad let me go back ‘home’…result sorry for Koos and Brian, Koos at least can opt to jump ship, so too can Brian I guess, but he may well not, cos that R40k he needs in his account to get that working visa is not growing on trees etc.

Brain drain happened, we coped and still are coping with it. To all of a sudden embark on a campaign to attract people that left solely cos they felt SA was a lost cause, I say let them be. There are those that went over to just blaze it, take a break, travel etc. this doesn’t apply to them. But the others that said “Voe rts ek”, I say we say “Voe rts ek” right back.

…This is Yaw …I am reading…(kinda like this is Dr. Frasier Krane, I am listening…)

Quotes

It is our choices…that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. J.K Rowling

The self is not something ready-made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action. – John Dewey (1959 – 1952)

Birthdays

19th Priya…happy bday GG, hope it was a good one, next time when ur fone rings press the green button, last I heard it doesn’t bite J

Respect and huge love,

Over and out for another week and I wanna hear ur views!

Y

No comments:

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...