Life is short, don’t waste time worrying about what people think of you. Hold on to the ones that care, in the end they will be the only ones there – Anonymous
Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show. – Anonymous
God allows us to experience low points of life in order to teach us lessons we could not learn in any other way. The way we learn those lessons is not to deny the feelings but to find the meanings underlying them – Stanley Lindquist
Some great quotes hopefully they are of value to you. This week is deaf awareness week, and I thought I should just bring it to our attention, not cos we can do anything about it, but cos, just take some time out to appreciate what you got, I know I sing this song endlessly, but as the saying goes you don’t know what you’ve got till its gone. I poked my ankle something silly a couple of days ago and my word the little things you take for granted, like walking, driving, now fortunately for me its getting better but what about those people that have to spend their lives in a wheelchair, I guess unlucky for them hey? Well it could so easily be us.
Anyway moving swiftly along, hope all is well with you all, and you are having a ripper of a week thus far, my week started with a bit of a speed wobble, but that’s what makes it all so much fun!
Speaking of not knowing what you’ve got till its gone, I wonder what’s going through the ex-deputy presidents mind right now, knowing that there is a possibility that his freedom may be no more.
Am I a socialist…well some might say, am I a capitalist, well let me ask you this why would I have studied forever as an accountant and be working in a bank?
JZ, born 12/04/1942, in Inkandla KZN, positions held, former deputy president of SA, deputy president of the ANC, chairperson of the national AIDS council, Chancellor of the University of Zululand, Patron of the JZ bursary fund, patron of the peace and reconstruction fund, patron of the Albert Luthuli education and development foundation.
He didn’t have much of a formal education. At the age of 15 he had to take odd jobs to help his mother out. A member of his family who was a strong trade unionist influenced him and hence his attention became drawn towards politics. In 1958 he joined the ANC, in 1962 he joined its military wing MK(Umkhonto We Sizwe which means the spear of the nation). In 1963Whilst on his way out of the country he was arrested along with a group of 45 recruits near Zeerust in the North West Province, he was convicted of conspiring to overthrow the government and sentenced to 10 yrs in prison on the island.
That didn’t stop him and in December 1974 after his release he was at work mobilising the internal resistance and awakening the ANC’s underground structures in Kwazulu Natal. But things started getting heated and in 1975 he pulled out of SA for 12 years based in Swaziland and then Mozambique. During this time he and the now President Thabo Mbeki and others worked together giving leadership to the ANC operation in the Republic. He also played a part in dealing with a whole lot of youngsters that poured into Mozambique as a result of the 1976 uprising. In 1977 he became a member of the ANC’s national executive committee. He served as the chief representative of the ANC in Moz until 1984 when the government of SA and Moz signed the Nkomati accord. This accord stated that neither governments would assist any opposition movements based in their country. What this meant is that the ANC was really no longer welcome in Moz and so off to Lusaka, Zambia they trod, where he became the head of underground structures and later the chief of intelligence. In 1990 he returned to SA and was part of the team that got the ball rolling in terms of unbanning the ANC and the return of exiles and the release of the prisoners on the Island.
In 1990 he was instrumental in initial brokering of peace in KZN. In 1991 he was elected the deputy secretary general of the ANC, he was then deployed in KZN cos the party felt he had a role to play in bringing peace and stability to the region. In 94 he was elected MEC of economic affairs and tourism in KZN provincial government. In 1994 he was elected national chair of the ANC and chair of the ANC in KZN, deputy president of the ANC in 1997 and exec deputy president of SA from June 1999 to June 2005. There are some other accolades but I have more to write.
In June 2005 during the trial of Mr Schabir Shaik, there were a few findings of payments made by Mr Shaik allegedly (I am not sure if I need use this cos it was used as evidence in court) in favour of Mr Zuma, the presiding judge stated that there was a “generally corrupt relationship” between the 2 parties. So as a leader what do you do? There is a judge saying things like this about your deputy, well u have no choice but to let him go. And Mr Zuma was very vocal in his innocence and asked to be tried so he could clear his name. The national prosecuting authority duly obliged and they announced that they will be investigating charges against Mr. Zuma.
Mr Zuma through his workings with the youth and the commoners of this land has managed to build himself a humungous gang of supporters, some who say they will support him whether he is guilty or not. It is reported that COSATU will hold a collection of R3 from its 1.7mil supporters to cover his legal costs (or at least assist) We have certain groups stating that they will make this country ungovernable if he is taken to trial, others stating that there will be mass action for every day that he is on trial. There is talk of a political conspiracy against the man because he stands for the people. Then there are those of us who are quick to point a finger a say this that and the next about his deeds.
My thoughts are very simple, he has asked for his day in court and he will get it, for people to support him whether or not he is found guilty, I guess you are entitled to your opinions and feelings, but for groupings to threaten mass action and deliver the country into anarchy, in my mind is insane, lets just hope its sensational journalism once again. The words of his supporters became louder when his residences and other affiliated places were raided by the Scorpions (the FBI of SA) last month. On the political conspiracy part, it may be true it may not be true, but the president of the country has offered to launch a commission of inquiry to unearth whether it is or its not, this offer was rejected by Mr Zuma’s supporters.
On the part of pointing fingers, we as humans are so quick to point out every body elses faults. But tell me something, you are crusing at say 180km/hr on the way to the coast on holiday with the family, out the bushes jumps mr police officer, boss, you are poked, its R20,000, court, jail for the weekend, inconvenience, or even simpler you just don’t have the cash, but, he’s human, he says hey boss, what can u do for me, u can slip him a R100 and off u go on your merry way? What choice would you make then. Closer to home for us youngsters out there, talking on your cell or drivin home pissed, u get bust, even if u don’t get bust, WE R BREAKING THE DAMN LAW! Cop pulls u over, say u r way over the limit, u r going to jail u will be prosecuted, ur whole life ur career up in smoke, but all it takes is R100 and u r back to normalish…what do u do? If u choose to pay, u r just as corrupt as Mr. JZ, make no mistake, ya but he is in a position of power, he is a public figure he is this and that, say u r in the car with your family u as the example, what kind of example r u setting? Corruption is corruption, you can justify it in your head as I am sure he did in his (assuming ofcourse that he is quilty)
If he is guilty, and note I use the word IF, because we are so quick to offer a ‘trial by media’, let him do the time, cos he deserves it, but pointing fingers, boss?! And what happened to innocent until proven guilty? But we are all educated here J.
There is a saying, take the log out of your eye before you take the speck out of your brothers eye.
Ooh the way I am kakking now after I have written this email, cos I know I am going to go out this weekend and have a few drinks and watch me get bust too, tempting fate, but oh well the tests in our lives that make it interesting.
This is a helluva a sensitive topic and I would like to have your views, I know I have been slack in the past about posting responses, but I will on this one, what are ur thoughts?
Birthdays
5th Smangi
6th Thalitha
10th Leon
“Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone, kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own” Adam Lindsay Gordon
I am out for now gym she is calling and my stomach is rumbling from hunger.
Maximum respect to you all and may you all have a splendid week, hope mine gets there.
Y
Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whose morality is it anyway?
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
So he is a little story to tell. But to begin I need to provide a little context. First off, I am a man of faith, I am either physically a...
No comments:
Post a Comment