“Where do we go, who knows? But each day gets better; I just can’t let her go, oh no
Each kiss gets sweeter; I just can’t leave her, no
I’ll write a song; I thought about it for far too long; But I’ve never had someone to sing about; Until I met her, now each day gets better; Nobody knows, nobody sees
Nobody else understands me like she; Now that I know what true love means
I just hope she stays with me” John Legend
2 new additions, Nomi and Sharon, welcome to our little world. Old ones and comments on www.mondaymail.blogspot.com or just mail me back. Hoep you enjoy your time with us J
Spring is upon us in full force here in Jozi, I know u Cape Tonians are still struggling a bit with the rain but it too shall pass J. How is this for wack! Have u ever had that feeling when you just seem to be in a Zone and not too much really phases you? You kind of take the emotion out of a lot of things and when misfortune happens, you just shrug your shoulders and sigh and realize ey that’s life? I’ll be honest (and I may be jinxing it, but ey its been a great run thus far) but 2007 has been a year when I have been stuck in a huge moment, but a beautiful one at that. I know I am reflecting in the year that’s been faaaar too early, but ey I believe in giving thanks and praise when due. I just feel like I am in the zone and u know u are my guys and girls so I had to share it with you. Who knows tomorrow may be different but ey at least I had today J. Work, life, love (hmmm!) just general….And hell I have lived a charmed life! For as long as I’ve known I have had plenty misfortune, but even more blessings, and I say this all the time, but my friends and familia are testament to that. Our family is most probably the most functional disfunctional unit around but it works so well. My mates what a bunch of Licorice allsorts. I have crazy guys waking up one morning and deciding to cycle to Tanzania from Joburg, then climbing Kili I have others that drag me…kicking and screaming I might add to places of performing arts such as the Lounge and Mavericks. Then there are others who involve me in their business dealings, those who I kick around on the squash and tennis courts J. Those that I turn to when I need help! U tell me what more can any person ask? Maximum respect to you all.
Between last Monday and this Tuesday, I got pulled over 4 times for no apparent reason. The first just searched me and let me be on my way. Second, there were about 6 of them the pull me over speak shit to me, then ask me to buy them cooldrink, the 3rd was the most annoying this random chicken pulls me over, I am on the phone, legally I might add. She decides no she wants to just jump into my car, search the cubby holes etc. at this point I terminate her call and ask her what the deal is, she says nothing. Then she says she wants my water cos she is thirsty, I look at her like…let me not say this is an adult show. Anyway she is done lurking and wasting my time, then I ask her out of sheer frustration, why the hell have I been stopped 3 times in the last week she responds go and ask your government, no I mean my government, your government is Nigeria, I think to myself u stupid uneducated, ignorant F**K, but instead of taking action and setting the idiot straight (because the last time I decided to question an ignoramus cop, I ended up in the back of a van, struggling for air…and who says u cant teach an old dog new tricks), I looked at her, shook my head and drove off, thinking to myself …that’s it, just thinking to myself.
Guys and girls I think I am either very in tune with the universe of late or something is up. Last week Monday I think it was, something told me I was going to bump into certain young lady whom I had not seen her in yonks. What sparked this? Well in our last engagement, she had shown some concern for my mother. My momsie has been struggling with her knee for yonks now and was due a knee replacement op, which she finally had the courage to have last week. But the whole day there was something telling me I was going to see her. So anyway I made it through the whole day, had a meeting in Midrand, which ended at around 9pm. On my way back I decided to give this friend of mine I hadn’t spoken to in some time a call, she told me she and her sister were having dinner at a restaurant on my way home. So I decide to swing by and say whats up. Guess who’s at the restaurant?? How random is that. But wait there’s more.
Episode 2: The last few days, I had been a tad edgy about this outstanding traffic fine I had, it was only R200, but I thought the fine was bogus and I was contesting it. They told me I had to write a letter and fax it to a number. Well the number wasn’t working and after days of trying I finally got hold of a correct number. Once I sent my letter thru, for a few months I struggled to get hold of anyone to talk to. I resorted to asking ‘a guy’ who knows a dude at the prosecutors office to help a brother out. So a couple of days ago I got on the blower to see if he had heard anything yet, cos I was getting anxious (it might have had something to do with getting stopped 3 times prior). Anyway…no joy. On Tuesday I woke up and something told me I am going to get stopped in a roadblock, but I am like whatever, its life. The day before I had taken my car in for a bit of a tune up, but as luck would have it they messed up something else. So I decide to take a trip there, but on my way there I say this is a detour, something don’t feel right, true as bob, 5 min into my trip I come across a traffic back up. A little voice tells me Yaw, it’s a road block, I could easily have avoided but I decide no lets go and face the music, I have all my supporting documents with me, there will be a reasonable person there who I can explain my case to and get this thing sorted once and for all…eeehh first mistake. Someone reasonable!! There was a camera set up that reads ur number plate and if there is a fine outstanding on ur name it alerts the cops to pull you over. There was no alert on my car, but they pulled me over anyway…why do they hate me cos I am beautiful? Anyway, to cut a long story short, I met with another nincompoop, unfortunately no prosecutor on the spot, they charged me R500 and an hour of my life, instead of the initial R200 cos the fine was late blah blah. I still feel like contesting it, but its just too much effort.
But ey a shrug, a sigh, a smile…that’s life
Episode 3: The coup de grace came yesterday. I was sitting on a bicycle at gym, just then a thought of a guy that knew but hadn’t seen in a little while crossed my mind, u’d be surprised some of the random thoughts that float thru your mind when you have 20min of pain to endure. It kept me busy for honestly 2/3 min and I was getting irritated, just then a black car drives past and the number plate was Alex D, the guys name was Alex, its like weird!! I was like…wow!
Anyway class without any further adieu, this weeks lecture will be about hurricanes. There has been a lot of hurricane activity off the South American coast of late, with Hurricane Dean (I think) and Felix recently. Personally I have been wondering what makes a category 5 hurricane and why it loses strength when it makes landfall etc. so I decided to do some research.
A hurricane as we all know is a huge ‘tropical storm’ that can reach speeds of around 320km/hr and cover an area of 720km…that’s hectic. They are normally formed over the ocean at ocean temperatures of 27 degrees Celsius and warmer. The wind needs to be blowing and the air needs to cool rapidly the higher you go. There is a force called the Coriolis Force (“Once air has been set in motion by the pressure gradient force, it undergoes an apparent deflection from its path, as seen by an observer on the earth. This apparent deflection is called the "Coriolis force" and is a result of the earth's rotation.”) that is required to spin the hurricane. This force is most prominent between 5 – 15 degrees latitude north and south of the equator. They gather energy from the warm ocean water and their intensity is fuelled by the evaporated seawater. The more the sea water evaporation and the winds the greater the speeds hence the categories. The storm spins counter clockwise around the eye…kinda looks like a spinning top. The most dangerous part of a hurricane is something known as a storm surge. This is a mass of water that gets pushed up into the centre of the storm because of the winds. When this storm makes it to land it causes crazy flooding as well as mad waves before it makes it to land.
Stages of a hurricane:
Tropical wave (low pressure moving westwards) – tropical disturbance (organized thunderstorms, maintains its strength for 24hrs) – tropical cyclone (generic term for organized low pressure developed over sub/tropical waters)– tropical depression (organized area of low pressure with sustained winds of 62km/hr or less) – tropical storm (tropical cyclone with max sustained wind speeds ranging from 63km/hr – 117km/hr) – hurricane (tropical cyclone with max sustained wind speeds ranging in excess of 117km/hr
The categories of hurricanes is defined by wind speeds and pressure and storm surges, but I will abbreviate it and just give u the wind speed definitions.
Category 1: 119-153km/hr; category 2:154-177km/hr; category 3:178-209; category 4: 210-249; category 5: >249
Atlantic hurricanes are generally found between Early June and the end of November. In the Eastern Pacific hurricane season is from mid May till the end of November. So what is the difference between a hurricane, cyclone and a typhoon? Absolutely nothing other than where they occur. If the storm happens in the Atlantic, gulf of Mexico or the eastern pacific, its called a hurricane. If it occurs in the western pacific its called a typhoon if it occurs in the Indian ocean, the Bay of Bengal and Australia, its called a cyclone.
Just a bit of FYI, the names of hurricanes are conjured up by the World Meteorological Organisation who have about 6 different lists of names that they rotate every year. Up until 1979 only female names were used. If a hurricane does hectic damage, its name is retired and a new name replaces it.
Birthdays
3rd John C
5th Smangi
8th Simon C
To all the ladies, eish sorry ne, please understand. Rugby World Cup and twenty 20…NICE, this is the life!
To my brothers and sisters from my other mother, Holy month of Ramadaan starts next Thursday yes, u can sure count me in for a day of discipline with you all. If someone could send me the times relevant to Jozi then I could pick a day
Maximum respect and “que sera sera” because it will indeed be so!
Huge love
Y
Friday, September 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whose morality is it anyway?
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
So he is a little story to tell. But to begin I need to provide a little context. First off, I am a man of faith, I am either physically a...
No comments:
Post a Comment