Friday, July 11, 2008

Luckily this week my mind hasn’t been held captive by any song in particular.

2 additions to our list, Khash and Rache, hope u find value in these weekly rantings. If you have any comments please visit www.mondaymail.blogspot.com.

Before I get into this weeks email, just a little bit of education my mate dangerous Dave (Degs) insisted I share. Times are tough at the moment and I guess you don’t need me to tell you about that. So what is the primary root of all our misery? This animal called interest. Imagine this I am poked or not but I need a couch or a car depending but I currently don’t have the cash for it enter mr loan corporation. We’ll give u the money, but then we own u till u can pay us back. What it means is you borrow today to buy something and work hard for 6 mths…60mths….20yrs to pay for it. Alternative is simple, live within your means or work hard now so u will make enough to buy whatever it is you want or be a slave to your desires J

I might not look the part but I am always thinking, my mind takes leave of my body on many occasions and finds topics to ponder. This week thought is one I have had for many years. Its one that has hardly, if ever, left the crevices of my cranium.

I am not sure if any of you ever have such thoughts, but once in a while I ask myself where will my soul rest. And I know what some of my ‘more Christian’ friends and family will be saying to me, Yawza, if you are asking yourself this question then you really haven’t found Jesus.

And so begins my issue(s). I consider myself a Christian, not by name alone but by actions and by belief (even though diluted and questioning), that being said though, I have the utmost respect for other religions because I honestly believe many of us are very similar…enter the dilution and questioning…

I go to church pretty often but not necessarily regularly, I go because it feeds my soul for the week, then there are those times when we are all praying and everyone around me is speaking in tongues….basically mumbling a whole lot of stuff….everyone except me…more questioning…

Then I wonder before colonization, I don’t think Christianity was heard of on this continent, so what happened to all the good people that roamed this continent called Africa, but passed on before they were introduced to the Bible, were their souls banished to suffer eternal damnation?

Then there is the fact that during prayer, Jesus and God are used interchangeably, I struggle with that, because I understand the trinity Father, Son and Holy Ghost to be 3 distinct entities. In my mind being the son of God doesn’t make you God, does it? In the 10 commandments commandment 1 and 2 say that I am the Lord your God; you will have no other Gods but me…See how I struggle worshiping Jesus instead of God?

Just one more thing as well. I generally use things that I can refer to. In Ghana right, when I was last there I don’t think you could travel further than a km without seeing a church. But on a whole many Ghanaians have life pretty rough. Rough in that its not by any means a rich place. Rich in culture, rich in good people, but boss people struggle to make ends meet, but one thing is for sure is that their faith in the almighty is strong. It brings me to another question I have. Many of the worlds poorest suffer no end, yet their faith is strongest, some might argue that its because that’s really their only hope, but I would think that their faith would result in the Almighty favouring them more. I look at some of the worlds worst figures, they may ‘believe in God’ but their actions are contrary to what I believe to be the actions of a God – fearing person, but those are the ones that prosper, look at Bob Mugabe for an example.

I could go on, but I just thought I’d share some of my thoughts with you, took me a while to write this email, I honestly had no clue how to tackle it. I read a lot and listen plenty, but in my mind there are a lot of gaps. Some accept but I question, I put it out there so those out there more enlightened than I can impart their knowledge with the likes of me.

I trust you will have a pleasant weekend and week till we next speak. Stay blessed, I for one truly am ;-)

Birthdays

8th Mel Ramjee, DJ

11th Rudi Leigh, Santie

12th Yao, Marc Cohen

Much respect to the masses

There is a new motto I think we should all adopt, it got reiterated in a conversation with my bro Dave and that is ‘each one teach one’, imagine how many of the worlds problems would be alleviated if we took the time out to impart knowledge. A lot of people don’t know about the perils of debt for example your domestics etc. take a few minutes to speak to them about it, so at least they make an informed decision!

Y

Que sera sera

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Ok Yaw I don't think we need reminding how tough times are but as the famous saying goes that which can't break us only makes us stronger( well something along those lines!!). If ever there was a time when these words seem appropriate it is now. And yes, you summarised it beautifully when you say "live within your means".
Coming to issues of faith, now I am no guru when it comes to Christianity, and I don't fit the profile of a Christian (according to my definition)and if you where to ask me I would tell you that the last time I attended service was probably ten, fifteen years ago. But I do I did dabble in Christianity in my youth until I found that it was hard to "practice what you preach". So instead of feeling guilty everytime I fell or evrytime I know was going to fall I decided to stop lying to myself and leave Christianity to Christians. But over the years I realised the people who dissappointed are the so called Christians not just people you see on tv or newspaper but people within my circle of friends.
As I grew older and perhaps wiser I have picked up a few things; Whatever God decides to do with Africans or anybody for that matter who never received the word will be correct or else I would not bother worshipping HIM. Secondly I do not believe in the God other people believe in, to all those God fearing people doing wrong in the name of the Lord certainly worshipp a different God from me. Thirdly I believe God does favour the kind of people you mentioned. I mean why else would He have created people like you then?

Damcie

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...