Friday, March 27, 2009

“I'm just not there, In the streets, I'm just not there, Life's just not fair
Seems like street lights, glowing, Happen to be just like moments, Passing, in front of me
So I hopped in, The cab and I paid my fairs, See I know my, destination, But I'm just not there” - Street lights – Kanye West

I missed you guys man!! I haven’t had much to say for the last few days but thanks to this lovely society that we live in, today I have pleeeeenty to say. Where do i begin. Wait I know. Isn’t it just funny how life works itself out most if not all times?? It brings a smile to my face. You know what I am talking about man...you know that lovely girl thats after you but you treat like s haite? Then that girl you really dig but she couldn’t give a rats a$$? Then remember that time you thought u got the better of someone in a sinister way and a few days, weeks, years later you get given so badly you want to cry? Ya man karma they call it...its a beautiful thing man its a beautiful thing.

The most recent one that boggles my mind, is this unnecessary attention we as a nation are drawing to ourselves because the powers that be, in their infinite wisdom decided to deny the 1989 Nobel Peace Laureate, the Dalai Lama a visa to attend a Peace conference in SA. Now how insane is that. More insane though is that self same infinitely wise powers, telling me that the visa was refused because his presence in SA would remove the focus from the soccer and shift it to Tibet. When did we become a province of the Peoples Republic of China? I understand that China has invested $60bn in SA and i guess thats good business for us because it helps the economy tick over, but I am sure its fair to say that they are also benefiting in some way no? Now to deny a recognized worldly figure of peace entry into your country to discuss how we as a nation can use football to promote peace well call me stupid but i don’t get it. For many a year sport has healed many countries, sparked many an emotion for its loyal followers. 1995 South Africa...Rugby World Cup winners, a nation is united, even though I supported the opposition I had chills down my spine when i was walking down Main Road in Rondebosch and seeing the joy on everyones faces...truly amazing. It was a script, written from above...

A friend of mine Aimee sent me an email 2 days ago, she was relaying a story about the Sydney Olympics she attended a few years back. IT was the 50km race-walkers. They had all finished the race and 2 hrs later comes in the final walker. Just as the person was entering they started playing the song ...and i would walk 500miles (i think it was) by the proclaimers and the announcer asked the crowd to remember that the Olympic Spirit was all about giving this walker a true Olympic finish....100000 people bellowing and clapping...imagine the atmosphere.

In 2007, Iraq won the Asian football tournament, in the midst of all the turmoil in their country, people were united and even managed to escape their hardships even if it was for only 90 minutes...

Then we have the possibility of the NPA potentially dropping their case against Jacob Zuma. Now to be honest for me the jury is out on whether JZ is guilty or not. My random logic tells me unless he is stupid corrupt person around (and no comments please), shouldn’t he at least have some money if he was corrupt? But the man doesn’t have any bucks. But that i guess is besides the point. I would rather he had gone to court to clear his name and then move on. Things like this is what cautions my enthusiasm (if such a saying makes sense) about the next incoming government. Their is an air of arrogance and entitlement around the ruling party and its supporters which i don’t think bodes well for a progressive political environment...

Oh and then we have Pope Benedict XVI in Cameroon. Here we have a continent still struggling to contain the spread of this deadly disease and fortunately some countries are getting it right and along comes his Excellency and says that condoms aggravate the AIDS problem. His argument is that trust in condoms negates the onus of responsibility. Which even though i think is a sound argument, it could easily be taken out of context and misused by the God-fearing people of Cameroon. Now lets see, this continent has roughly 22mil HIV + people maybe more by now. Governments and NGOs etc. are fighting hard to educate people about the plusses of contraception and here you come and say that condoms are no good in the fight against AIDS well that in my view is irresponsible, particularly on a continent where roughly 20% of the population is Catholic. If I am not mistaken Catholics believe that the use of contraception is wrong, but Catholics also believe that priests shouldn’t be married, but it happens on this continent.

I have so much more to say but its waaay past my bedtime.
Birthdays
8th Marang
10th Steve miller and Adi Ashton
11th Bontle and Tebo
22nd Emily
23rd Glenda
25th Damsie
27th Feds, Carlin, Thuli

Take it easi all and have a great weekend and do remember that Karma is a b** ch

Y

No comments:

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...