Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How good has the world been to me this week? Man so much material to work with. How are you my good people really do hope all is going splendidly, if its not, worry not cos promise that wont help.

So last week I wrote about the fact that there was word on the street that Islamic fundamentalist want to bomb the stadiums where the Danes are set to play in the Soccer World Cup, here in South Africa. A day or so later I hear on the news that our very own Zapiro has done the same thing, in the Mail and Guardian. I read the cartoon and its typical Zapiro, quirky and highlighting a point. Now I have the utmost respect for Islam and its followers, (I even contemplated converting once upon a time), but I have had a debate with a whole bunch of people most of whom are at best Atheists over the weekend, they were of a similar thinking. The caption was not meant to be inflammatory. We all laugh when he draws anyone else, though some people may find his ways offensive but we have all at one stage laughed at his work even though someone may have felt that someone they hold dear has been ridiculed. We live in a world of diversity, diversity in thought, word, deed, beliefs, culture you name it and we cant all be the same otherwise we would all be called Yaw, size 10.5 shoes, 104kg (yes pie eater) Ghanaian born, South African raised….blaaah….wait I mean zzzzzzz.

If government was to gag Zapiro and forbid him from drawing pictures of JZ with with a shower over his head, most of these people that are vehemently opposing the depiction of the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, will be the self same people crying foul over the slow murder of democracy and freedom of speech. Yes I know some might think its not the same but it so is exactly the same. To those who voted for JZ, some of them believe strongly that he is their chosen one, just like Muslims believe that Muhammad was the last prophet of God…we all have our belief systems and we all live in a diverse world…cant we all just get along??!!

Let me give you another example of diversity but absolutely beautiful. So on Saturday, cos I know people, we managed to get some tickets to the first ever S14 game in Orlando, Soweto. Now from memory, the last time there were more than a tour bus of Afrikaans people in Soweto was in 1976, and they were there to kill some blacks. This weekend my good people was just superb. People walking through Soweto as if they were walking through Menlyn, Vuvuzelas blasting. Not one single comment about hey Pirates aren’t playing Chiefs here. The people were so accommodating. We walked past this house I think it was which had one wall painted in light blue and white with the Bulls logo on it and read Soweto welcomes the Bulls. People were being allowed to park in peoples houses it was all too nice (for a lack of a better word) busses were stuck in traffic so people got out and started walking to the stadium I mean have you ever?! Mhlungus (white people) not foreigners, cruising on foot in Soweto?

That to me is a clear indication of the power of the mind. We create our own fears and perceptions in our minds and that becomes our realities. Yes, I know truth is that a majority of the ill will in this country are committed by a black face, but a lot of the times there is a white face acting as the puppet master, but that isn’t my point, my point is say out of 30mil or so black south Africans, say if 100000 are criminals does that make they all criminials? Say out of say 8 mil white south Africans, and say if 100000 are racists are they all racists. This thing is so easy, but we insist on complicating it. Take a little time. Try and get to know your neighbour, understand why is it that he likes to blow the Vuvuzela and you like to sing Delaray and lang arm, in the end we will find out that in as much as we are different we are so alike.

But that being said, there could be a situation where we should be very similar but in reality nothing could be further from the truth. For this one I take you on a lovely picturesque trip down to the Western Cape. The only place that the ANC doesn’t run in the country, the only metropole that apparently is the best run in the country, id say this is true, if you live in Sea Point, Camps Bay, Constantia, Bishops Court, Rondebosch…you get my drift. Anyway in one of the areas where things aren’t so rosy, Khayaletsha, there has been a little fracas of late. This fracas is over ablution facilities. Unacceptable ablution facilities were established, which were uncovered, so basically anyone wandering past could see you doing a no 2. The residents were supposed to pay for structures to cover them themselves but weren’t able to so as a result with the permission of the residents (allegedly), the DA erected corrugated iron structures to enclose these ablution facilities. Along comes the ANCYL and tears these structures down, saying that this is not acceptable, thus leaving them bare and open to the elements. I shake my head….again I shake my head!!

Lets start from the obvious. The DA has only been in power in this area since the last elections, so just about a year or so. They erected these ablution facilities. So tell me please, what were the people using prior to this which was more acceptable?
Next observation, I as resident x used to do a no 2 for all to see, now at least I have some dignity and I can go and be with my own damn self and not the rest of the community, yes its corrugated iron and not concrete, but that’s bliss man, I can lift up my legs and let it all go…now you tell me how much better off I am now that you have torn down my only bit of privacy whilst performing an entirely private affair?
If I had to follow that logic, then I as an individual have every right to go and tear down all the informal settlements in this country, not just in the DA run Western Cape, but all over because, such accommodation is unacceptable. The rains are coming, so too the bitter cold, but u know what u should sleep outside because currently sleeping in corrugated iron structures is totally unacceptable!!!

And these are our future leaders? Once again I shake my head vehemently

And for the last little one, well not so little considering that about 31 people have died, the majority being civilians…There is this drug lord in Jamaica called Charles Dudus Coke, middle name and last are quite apt aren’t they?? Anyway, this man is seen as a Robin Hood of sorts, but not really because he kills people and feeds others drugs and kills them too, ok maybe not at all. What he does do though is he builds schools and hospitals for the community, he provides food sometimes even shelter. Now this community that he does assist is the poorest of the poor. Story goes that his crime networks are far reaching and most deadly and so America is wanted him extradited to face charges. So along comes Mr Jamaican police to arrest Mr Coke, the community says fork that mate you aint getting our guy!! He gives us this that and the next, what do you give us mr governmet and secondly who will look out for us when he goes?

I think the drug pedaling etc is wrong and he should have his day in court, but is the community wrong for protecting him? And for me that’s a leetle grey area. It goes with mans survival instincts and Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Our most basic needs being physiological (food) and safety form the 2 base levels that we strive for then it moves to the sexy stuff and ends up with self actualization (morality).

Now lets be some dude who has a kid or two, but no food, no school, no shelter. Along comes Dudus, and offers me all of this and life is ok. Do I care where he got the money from? Emm I think not. Do I care about how many people have become junkies so my kid can heat a peanut butter sarmi and go get medicine for chicken pox…err I think not! So when mr police man comes and threatens my safety and that of my children, what will I do, I will fight….yessir.

Anyway those are my thoughts for now, lets hear yours. http://mondaymail.blogspot.com

Birthdays
23rd Chacha
24th Rich
25th Inge
27th monica
28th Candice, Nielfaar, Monde
29th Delia, Lauren, nyamekye, Keyser, Vuyo, Zeze

And that’s me outta here

Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend even more.

Maximum respect

Y

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well written Yawza, agree with you on all levels here. Enjoy the final!

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...