Sunday, September 20, 2009

When I was slaving away in the corporate world, time was generally at a premium but somehow i always managed to steal some to write my weekly emails but not now, now that time is in abundance, sitting my bum down to jot down a few ideas, eish its a problem! Hmmm

Well howdeeho to you all, yes its been a while and other than pure laziness i cannot for the life of me think of one valid reason for not writing in so long. But alas today I write. So much has gone down in the last few weeks ey, Usain Bolt running the 100m and 200m in super human times, our poor Caster Semenya being put through hell on earth. The All Blacks were beaten 3 times by one team, I have never seen such a travesty ever. Barack is getting hammered in the USA, interest rate cut (happy days for the self unemployed), Rand strengthening, but watch let me go and buy a plane ticket and the damn thing will find a reason to devalue! Interesting times

So as u do when you have nothing but time on your hands, I have been doing a copious amount of thinking over the last few weeks and by George I think I have found it! Found what you ask, well the meaning to this thing we call life.

Life is definitely not a journey to be lived alone. It’s all about community, friends and family. Yes but i guess we all knew that hey?! So much for cracking the code, next time i tell u next time!! Over the last few weeks I have realised that in my life I have crossed paths with many people because thats me and thats what i do, but real true friends are few and far between and man am I blessed!!

Fair enough I have put myself in the position to be open or approachable to this but in the last few weeks I have had a good few people throwing assistance my way. People have been mailing or calling me with potential income generation opportunities, place to stay, u name it. Not to take anything for granted at all, its really eased the stress so that I can try and really focus on what it is that i want to spend the rest of my life doing...And what is that some might wonder...well to be honest I don’t think I am any closer to that one, but I think I do have an idea of what it is i don’t want to be doing at the moment. But I guess things change and maybe in a month, a year or so’s time things may well have changed again. But this my dear friends this is what its all about.

Alot of people especially my dear mother would be glad to hear this argument I have been having with myself lately. Up until very recently the idea of marriage and a family of my own, if my maker was willing to ‘bless’ me with such wasn’t a topic that I gave much thought to. I think in my life there have been maybe 2/3 women that i have even thought sheesh I could marry this woman or a woman like her...anyway 3 weeks I saw the true value of family and stuff. On 2 or so weeks ago I got a message from my sister that my pops had suddenly fallen ill. Now let me put it into context, my old man NEVER gets sick. The one other time he was sick, he had to have an operation on his stomach. Anyway so this was pretty serious, there was issues with his blood sugar levels. They were more than 10 times the normal rate and he had to be hospitalised. But just the way the family unit pulled itself together was truly amazing. My brother is a doctor so he called my dads doctor to get the low down on what was happening. My bro and sisters in Joburg, went to get my moms to make sure she was ok, I had to leave my insanely busy life of not too much and flew up to Joburg to keep the old lady company and make sure all is well whilst everyone else carried on with work and normal life. I was really glad I was in a position to be of assistance. But what truly was amazing was how friends were always asking how things were, family from all over the world were calling in to check on us and him. It was a ripper man. I remember saying to my mate Philip that I think it may be time to start considering this M thing, but then I went back to living life as me and that idea got doused somewhat, but at least its stronger than it was before the happenings of the last few weeks. But I am in NOOOOOO rush.

It hasn’t always been all these constructive thoughts floating through my head. Here is one thought and action that made me shake my head somewhat and to be quite honest I am well pleased i went through the process...as you can see these last 7 weeks...shoo its been a while ey, imagine i came here for what was meant to be a quick 2-3 week trip and here i am 7 weeks later and to be quite honest it doesn’t look like I will be heading back to Jozi any time soon ;)...I digress...so anyway as i was saying. So i came back to the house I lived in when I was living here in Cape Town in 2004 – 2006. When I first got back here, I found myself thinking about the ex of THREE BLOOODY YEARS AGO waaaay too much. It was bordering on obsessive behaviour something I am not prone to, other than you know the usual, don’t eat in the bedroom or in the lounge, wash my hands after cutting the chicken before i cut the green pepper, you know normal stuff that everybody else does ;)...anyway i found myself texting her and stuff now mind you I don’t have her mobile number on my cellphone, so it meant i had to switch on my laptop and then retrieve her details before the text was sent, and my laptop took a while to load up, so clearly i really wanted to send the text. Anyway it was only after a week or 2...and an return text from her asking me what i was trying to do that the penny dropped. Well so I made myself believe cos thats what its all about my beliefs. Here is the prognosis that i came up with that made sense to me. I dated her from 2004-2006. All my life in that house bar a month or so she was a part of it. So in my mind i think i associate that house with memories of her. I left to move back to Joburg a little after we broke up and I have not spent any more than a few hrs or days in that house since then, well not until now. It all seemed to make sense. It was me having loads of time and deciding to take a trip down memory lane and trying to drag her along with me....interesting huh...NOT COOL though!

Another wierd incident that took place happened whilst i was in joburg visiting but the aftermath was only felt last week. Whilst up in Jozi, I decided to go pay my former colleagues a visit. To see how they were getting on without the life of the party, well so i’d like to believe, and ey its my story so i tell it ne. I went in on Tuesday, cracked a few jokes, made myself comfortable, took my laptop with me so i could download a few songs from my Nokia Music account, ey bandwidth is expensive if you are not working ekse. It was a ripper afternoon, like the old times. The guys asked me to swing by again before I left, on Friday afternoon I had some time, as I surprisingly tend to have nowadays...so I pulled in and we carried on and we all headed home. Anyway, during the course of last week I received a call from one of my colleagues that there was a major hoo ha about me going into the office and that i was downloading things and I shouldn’t be allowed back...this was followed up by an email from one of my other former colleagues based here in Cape Town saying the same thing. My first thought was what the *$%!! What could i possibly want to download from them that firstly i couldn’t have in July when I left, and secondly why would i want to either. I faeces you not I was a tad peaved. And then I thought about it and realised i guess some people have to take themselves and their work seriously because the world is out to get them and i should have known better than to just make myself at home at an institution which I am no longer a part of...anyway i sent my note of apology to them all and closed that chapter...

As you can tell, its been a pretty decent time of self examination/assessment and diagnosis. I have realised as I grow older that I tend to accept my life as it currently is and strive as best as i can to make a better me for me and the world around me. Other than being in Heaven with my maker, there is no other place I would rather be than right where I am....for now that is, because doing not too much can be taxing on a mind that is used to activity...ie boredom is kinda setting in, who knows maybe i will travel soon...

My mantra at the moment is “EVERYTHING IS AS IT SHOULD BE”. A lot of people might say its a cowards way of looking at the world and to them I say perhaps it is, but the time might come for me to be the hero that you are but till that time, everything is as it should be.

If this email is incoherent or scattered i beg your pardon, because as you all know as i think i write...

Man after writing this I have realised how much I really missed writing this stuff. I hope to be back more regularly.

Birthdays
23rd Aug Jem
26th Leyya,Gareth and Charl
29th Norm
30th Benj
3rd Sept - JC, Rob
5th Vusi Riba
9th Declan
10th Sefa and Morule
14th Anoka
15th Gooch
16th Maskew
18th Tahir, Thuls, and Chetan
19th Naasei
21st Nats,Mickey Moo
23rd Palesa, Si Black
24th Vaughan
28th Mohi and Kells

To infinity and beyond...I am out, just like a thief in the night....been listening to too much DMX

Lovely chatting again all have a pleasant week. Eid Mubarak and Shana Tova to all

Maximum respect and massive love, those travelling this way for the Loeries, safe travels and holler when you get here.

Y

1 comment:

Mia said...

Family truly are a special thing i can't echo what you have said enough. I have become hooked on a singer recently by the name of Paolo Nutini, big in the UK not sure about SA. But there is one song that i think sums up what you have been saying sooo well it goes like this..
.
"If you love the life you live
Then you'll get a lot more done
Be more inclined to take the reins
Than turn away and run
It's very rare it seems to get a lifetime guarantee,
So I suppose self satisfaction be the key
My father is a wealthy, self made man
But his wealth does not consist of riches or acres of land
Instead he has a family who are
His biggest fans
That's something that I one day hope to have
So I'll cherish the simple things
The easy took for granted things
Like going round my Mum's house for my tea
And argue with my sister,
Only God knows how I missed her
It's the simple things that mean the most to me"

- simple things, paolo nutini

well said ! Mia xxxx

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...