The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King Jnr
I was just about to quietly slip into deep slumber when I drifted off to my not so regular meditations about the world and life and all of that and I guess I was just inspired to write to this weeks blog. As I sit here at 2am about to type, many topics float into my mind and hopefully one of them will be captivating and thought provoking enough to share with you all
Here’s a question I have often batted around in my head over my almost 34 years on this earth. That question is why were we not all made the same imagine what a peaceful world this would be. Anyway, as you all know nowadays I tend to have quite a bit of time on my hands (and that will come to an end soon, because I am getting over this), and other than trying a few little ventures that don’t seem to want to go anywhere, I have this yearning to learn more. This yearning for more has my remote oscillating (may not be the right word but I like it so gonnakeep it) between The news channels, South Park, the Islam channel, TBN and ofcourse SuperSport and ESPN oh yes and occasionally FTV, but I am so over that channel now.
One day whilst watching the Islam Channel a guy was on there and he was discussing this self same question. He said something that I found quite profound, imagine if we were all made the same, all males and every country was exactly the same, language, the same, cultures the same, how boring would life be then? We wouldn’t have the opportunity to learn from one another like males learn from females and vice versa (well we should be learning but alas we all think we know best ☺) learning from different religions, different cultures, for example when we as in us so called makwere kweres came to the eastern cape, I remember clearly that the big fashion was the ladies knocking out their front teeth it was called a love gap, they also used to also shave off all their hair. Then along came the hair extensions and the African dresses etc. You watch TV and see the rap videos and then you go onto the streets and you see young kids, all dressing the same low hanging jeans, tattoos everywhere, speaking the same. Everyone wants to live in a crib that shows on MTV cribs. Diversity really makes the world stronger, if the mind is strong enough to embrace it ofcourse. Sheesh imagine if every country was the same, an industry like tourism wouldn’t exist because why would I want to go anywhere? They’d be just like us. Anyway I found it quite an interesting little piece and thought I’d share it.
But I guess a counter to this would be if the world was made everyone looking the same, speaking the same, thinking the same, well we wouldn’t know any better so it would be all good ☺
Anyway in my quest for knowledge, I have also found myself asking a question. A question that has been reverberating in my head every time I hear the news and hear about a young baby that was born with its heart out of its body, or a friends child who has cerebral palsy, a Hurricane in Haiti an earthquake in Haiti, famine in Africa, Togolese football players who bring joy to many being shot and killed, general civilians walking down the street in Iraq or Afghanistan being killed in a bombing I could go on…The question I ask is why does God allow bad things to happen to good people. So I started thinking and ofcourse reading.
Now for this question to hold any water, one would have to assume a few things, first being that God does exist, because if you don’t believe in a higher being well then this whole question is mote, so for the sake of moving on I believe that God exists and if you don’t, well then assume that we all believe in a higher being. The next question would be that there is such a thing as a good person. Now this I can categorically say doesn’t exist. We all have had wicked thoughts and deeds. Remember that lovely lass with the low cut top and short skirt, you saw earlier? Remember the thoughts that ran through your mind as you thought of what you would do with her? That right there is wrong. Remember the thoughts you had of that dude who is trying to s crew you over, remember what you wished would happen to him…evil I tell you. Remember when that guy cut you off this morning in traffic? Just purely by the fact that we are humans we are impure of thought word and deed. The thing with us as humans is the fact that we have free will and our choices aren’t always in line with that which is deemed to be good. The ability for someone to exercise their free will can adversely impact me. Lets say for example I had to be robbed…God Forbid, but say for example I had to be, am I a good person, nah man. Good intentions most of the time but I falter…frequently, so should I feel aggrieved if something happens to me sure, its human nature to think why me, but the answer to that is simple, why not me? It was someone’s free will being exercised and unfortunately his pooh landed on my doorstep. Its very simple, as with everything in life every action has a reaction. He exercised his free will, I lost for what I believe is no reason, but s/he is likely to get caught and punished or some ill or good fortune will find him as a consequence. In my case I will benefit from an insurance payout perhaps which may benefit me or some other ill or good fortune might befall me or someone who is associated to me…bigger picture…but that we speak about later
Lets use Haiti for example, now that’s a tragedy in a massive way, but before we go blaming a higher power lets think for a moment. For centuries we as humans have been raping this continent in the quest to gain wealth. We dig large trenches and blast away rocks hoping to find pieces of yellow rock we call gold, hardened coal we call diamonds, black combustible liquid we call oil. We chop down forests, create artificial gasses. We want to be richer, the world faster, create more, consume more. Now all this in my mind is disrupting the natural equilibrium of the earth and its core, its only a matter of time that something will have to give and guys and girls I am no geologist but that time is fast approaching I say. We don’t care so why should the earth care? I know I sound quite cold and heartless, but it is what it is. America’s foreign policy and its perceived hatred of the Muslim world lead to those attacks on September 11., on the flip side, it could also be seen as the actions of certain extremists that lead to the tragedy in which 3000 people lost their lives. But then there is Zimbabwe for example, where inaction is leading to many people suffering, hence infiltration by those fleeing their strife entering into South Africa. Which results in a strain on the country’s economy, which leads to distrust and anger by the indigenous people of this land…xenophobia…free will…choices…consequences
The third point I’d like to raise about this would be the idea of a bigger picture. Maybe maybe maybe there is a bigger picture? Maybe when things do happen to us and they don’t feel so great at that time, maybe it was all part of a master plan that was to be revealed a little bit later on?
Now when I grew up we read the story of Joseph, a good young man who had too much time for his older brothers. The older brothers disliked him cos their pops dug Joseph more than them. So what they did was they sold the bra into slavery. For years the dude got it. He lost for no reason. Well no reason apparent to him or us as the readers of the story. Anyway as time goes by he becomes the second most powerful person in Egypt. Anyway there is a huge famine in the land of his birth and his brothers had to go to Egypt to buy food. Joseph was there to save them. He lost initially but in the end they all won. Another analogy that I read about which was quite profound , was that of a little child who gets his/her inoculations. Now needles are not pleasant, but here u r as a baby or a youngster, bawling your eyes out whilst the adults just park off and watch you. I am sure thoughts of what have I done to deserve this excruciating pain run through your mind but yet, your parents know the bigger picture….
Anyway who knows…
Maximum respect must go out to Teddy P who has sung to me so many times, may he rest in peace, I’ve been so many places, ive seen so many things, but none quite so lovely as you…more beautiful than the Mona Lisa….Aye ye TP
Birthdays
17th Pongs
19th Priya Deshpande
21st Chris de Coning, Clayton Stewart
Maximum respect to you all and keep on fighting the good fight.
Y
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whose morality is it anyway?
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
So he is a little story to tell. But to begin I need to provide a little context. First off, I am a man of faith, I am either physically a...
No comments:
Post a Comment