Tuesday, January 12, 2010

“…In New York, Concrete jungle where dreams are made of, Theres nothing you can’t do, Now you’re in New York, These streets will make you feel brand new, The lights will inspire you, Lets here it for New York, New York, New York” Emprie State of mind Jay Z

Even though I kinda understand, it always baffles my mind what a big who ha we all tend to make about the turn of a new year… People splash out big tom to throw crazy parties, guys and ladies alike head out and buy outfits, get hair done just cos the calendar changes from 2009 to 2010. Yes a new year brings kind of a clean slate, 12 mths within which you can achieve goals we set for ourselves, but my question is why wait till the turn of a new year, why not set a goal right now? I mean the 12 January 2010 will never come again in my lifetime, so tomorrow can be my new year, Inshallah (I like that term, God willing for those who don’t understand) there will be another 12 mths before the next 12 January…

On that note let me wish you all you wish yourself for the year ahead, if its good, health, happy times, more alcohol, more boys/girls, more drugs, more money, more power, well if that’s what gets you up in the morning, then that’s all I am wishing you boss more of what you want for you not what I think you want for you capish? ☺ It dawned on me the other day that ey man just cos I think my peeps will be chuffed with good health and prosperity doesn’t mean that’s what they what they wish for themselves, so I wish you all you wish for you, may 2010 be your year.

Even before the year turned I had this butterfly kinda feeling about the future, and it hasn’t failed yet. There is that quiet optimism brewing in me just about people and my interactions with them this year, I think the universe has got an interesting ride ahead this year. I cant say that I set myself any resolutions per se I did however look at my life and made a conscious effort to be better at a lot of things. I will tell you guys some of them now so that if I ever interact with you in a manner that is contrary to what I have written you will reprimand and remind me, cos man it’s a tough life out there and I know I for one cant live it on my own.

So I made a few undertakings with myself nearing the end of last year. To get my health seen to, a not so pleasant step I took yesterday but looks like all is ok where the doc checked so happy days. My biggest thing this year and beyond is to be sincere at all times, say what I mean and mean what I say as respectfully as possibly ofcourse. I want to be continually honest and eternally humble and also want to live in a way that the creator intended of me, yes that is hugely subject to interpretation and mistakes will be made but that’s my biggest undertaking. I don’t want to judge anyone, cos who the potato peel am I to judge and lastly and by far my toughest, this foul mouth has gotsta take a chill….It’s a mighty one but its one for the rest of my life so help me ☺ but yeah I said it!!!

But enough about me, trust everyone is well rested, spent some quality time with the people that matter, not those who we need around us because we think they validate us but rather those who regardless of where you are in your life you can turn to and they give you that sense of damn man this is what its all about!! If you are up north and freezing your little so and so’s off stress not because as cold as it is now, at the end of the month just remember its 12 : 1 if that stuff does it for you, if not then remember the rest of the world is about 2 hrs away and pretty affordable, or the fact that the crime there is allegedly less than it is here, every cloud does indeed have its silver lining.

Those of you in SA, yes the crime is a bit of a drag, racism definitely does still exist, come to Cape Town and you will see what I mean, but that is a challenge man, watched the movie Invictus a while ago it showed me how we can all make a change if our hearts and our intentions are pure, yup even you, every year I preach the same story, but how true is it, feed a man and you think he will find it in his heart to harm you, most cases not. If you are still in this lovely land of ours, just look out of your window and look at the lovely day that you have been blessed with. The opportunity to go to Pick n Pay, ya I know a lot of us are taking a bit of a sidestep from Woolies times she is tough ne. Take a look at your means of transport, the place you live in you are indeed a blessed somebody. Wherever you are in this world trust you me if you are reading this, your life is alright with you and if its not well the power is squarely within your grasp should you really desire to change it.

My biggest gripe over the last few week has been the fallout because of the matric results. The results just seem to be getting worse. From where I sit it’s a factor of many things, but the sad thing is everyone wants to blame government. I will defend them tooth and nail on this. Perhaps they could do more in some areas but the enormity of the gaping hole that they picked up 16 years ago cant be plugged just nje. If they focus on just education and leave the transport system alone we will be bleak and so it gets worse, but the beauty now is it seems that they seem to grasp the severity of the situation. If I had to in my limited knowledge and experience have to summarise the situation, I would think it starts from the grassroots of a childs education. There is no way you can tell me that all the ills a child has learnt in the preceding 10-11 years of schooling can be rectified in matric, its insanely difficult. A child needs to be taught the basics well from their formative years and this is built up to a level where they can sit for their final examinations before proceeding to tertiary level.

Now how can they get it right….the quality of the teachers. Now that is a big problem here cos as far as I know they aren’t paid a helluva lot in SA and some tend not to care too much. Now for me what would make sense is to cap the amount that government officials are allowed to spend on cars, travel and housing and throw that in the pot to train and pay teachers. Money, I guess isn’t everything for everyone because if the heart isn’t in it, try as you might you wont give it your best. But it’s a start. Put all teachers through continual training and testing. Their results are based upon the numbers passed regarding their classes. Incentivise them.

The syllabus, make it relevant and of a high standard, don’t ever drop standards. The syllabus must be the same across all the different schools. All schools should teach the same things. What would be great in an ideal world would be for like the big private schools to adopt a promising not so well to do school in the same area/province and help them out. You want to build a better country and life for all that’s how it starts
Then it’s the parents and the students, I know a lot of my mates are married and having children, remember how it used to be when we were growing up, a parent was always there, and when u messed up u knew what was in store for you so you hardly messed up. That discipline needs to be back man drinking and sleeping around at 13/14/15 is not normal, its not cool its not on. Failing a subject is not oh well better luck next time sort it out now, you cant be in a night club if you are under 18 cos you are not supposed to be drinking no matter how lovely your legs look in a mini skirt you little…ey R Kelly stay away I trying to talk here ☺

Ag I guess you can tell how much this topic irks me because every year it’s the same story, then people don’t make it to varsity and then the cycle continues and the chasm grows wider between the haves and the have nots. Because lets face it, to get a decent enough job nowadays you need experience and very few people are willing to hire you if you to gain that experience if you don’t have the education to back you up. I am not saying getting a degree is the be all and end al of everything but what it does show a potential employer is your ability to apply your mind and also to see something through..

So what to do? I mean this is a problem that is beyond most of us maybe, but I am sure you have a friend with a kid or a helper or something, tell them the importance of schooling if you are in a position to assist with school unifom or books or something gooi maar bietjie…

EACH ONE HELP ONE…

Birthdays
3rd Karabo
4th Sengetile Tshabalala
5th Pranuksha
6th Ebbs and Ingrid
8th Jordan and TK
10th Brendan and Chantal h
11th Pops
12th Tsakane
13th Nontando
16th Ann-Louise

Have an absolutely you 2010 people chat soon and regularly. Mail me back from time to time I miss ya’all and would love to know whats going on in your lives

Y

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year

Raj from UHS.

Whose morality is it anyway?

  The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...