See from his head, his hands, his feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down, Did ever such love and sorrow meet, Or thorns compose so rich a crown…
April already, why oh why is death in such a rush to come and get me huh? Another week gone by, Easter is almost upon us then SWC 2010, then Christmas, where is this time going, wake up its Monday morning next thing its Friday…why the rush I ask thee, whyyyyy?
Watched 2 beautiful movies last week. Precious and Blind Side, almost made a grown man cry and I cant remember the last time I shed a tear, far cry from when I was younger and you wouldn’t have been too far off calling me a big baby ☺
A couple of weeks ago a mate of mine Graham was in town, good man that guy, anyway we went out for a few ice creams and it was a lovely night and we spoke about plenty things and one of the topics we really discussed in depth was the existence of God in this world and also humans as a race. Last nite I was out having a few ice creams with my mate Edmund, good man that one and I mean this man is a smart somebody, helped set up a new insurance company etc, anyway he decided to pack it all in and head down to the Cape to lecture at UCT. Anyway so we was chillin ne, tuning stuff about stuffs and we found our way back to the whole story about God and this world and also what this chasing paper is all about. It gave me such peace, I even broke out in song…you are not alone…I am here with you… Some might consider it a mid life crisis but ig uses its more a story of trying to find out what works best for you in this little time we have on this lovely planet which we are doing a good job of destroying…
Anyway another glorious day in Africa I tell ya, took a nice leisurely drive along the coast to Hout Bay, best I take full advantage of this whilst I am still here because a return to the big smoke is imminent even if for a brief stint its gonna happen…cos its going to be raining here soon ☺ even managed a walk up Lions Head this week, something I have never ever ever done in the 9 yrs or so I have lived here, man what a night to walk. Walked up and as I got up…and man my body weary, but sheesh as I got up the sun was setting absolutely beautiful. Then I came down with a full moon rising wa wa wee wa
Before I get into this weeks email, just thought I take a moment with it being easter and all and the prevalence of death and illness nowadays. Now is as good a time as any to take a bit of a pause smell the roses, tell people how you feel for real and also realize what really matters in this short time on this earth. Izzy so sorry to hear about your mom, thoughts are with you and the family miss.
So this weekend I was chilling out being cool, taking it easy like I do. Picked up the Sunday Independent and whala a hot topic of discussion and food for thought…whats that you might ask? Well lately with all the goings on in our political circles, the infighting, scandalous tenders, criminals doing what they feel they can. I have been thinking the only real way to get the ANC to sit up and take note is for there to be a super opposition not so?
Imagine a party made up of the DA, COPE, UDM, ID, IFP, PAC, ACDP, wheew, man!! It may not be no-where near strong enough to wrestle away power from the ANC, but that’s perfectly ok in my mind, but just as long as they are accountable. Because right now it feels like a bit of a free for all and its been a long time coming
Then reality stepped in, hold it, hold it hold it! Imagine Shilowa, Lekota, Zille, De Lille, Bantu, Mangosuthu to name a few being in a party together. First things first, there is a power struggle in COPE already between Shilowa and Lekota, that’s in a party that they together formed. Now lets throw in the other rather strong minded leaders into the pot…all I see is a melting pot of chaos to be honest.
IFP, COPE, UDM, ID were all spun out of former ANC members who got disgruntled along the way and decided they wanted to take on the big machine. But that in itself even though it whittled down the ruling party’s power base it really didn’t hurt them too much. To be honest with the COPE splinter that happened a little over a year ago I was convinced that this would have been the wedge that would wound the ANC. In a way I think the party is slightly wounded. Since Polokwane a few years ago it hasn’t been the same. The struggle for power is becoming more prevalent and I guess more public. In the past if there were spats and disagreements it was kept at home in the family now you have the likes of Yaw Peprah, passing comments and making judgements about disagreements that in my mind should be settled within the party but alas, its good for us and transparency.
Moving along, so say they decided to form this super opposition…what would they stand for? Who would lead them? I just cant for the life of me see all those egos and strong personalities working together.
Then I sit back and think. If I ever decided to go into politics, it wouldn’t be about me, it would be about the voiceless masses who they want to provide a voice for, wouldn’t it. So, logic would say I step back and think what would be the best for the people I want to represent, the people on who’s behalf I speak and the answer would/should determine my actions isn’t it?
But imagine a 2 party state like there is in the states, where we have elections to determine who would run the party and based on that the leaders of the parties go on to stand for the elections. I suppose in a way that’s what does happen here. Polokwane gave us JZ, COPE and the others elected their leaders and they ran for office and the man called JZ prevailed with flying colours, but I would love to see a South Africa where elections go beyond struggle credentials and dancing and focus on substance and what you will do for me when you get into power. Then based on that I grade you over your term in office. This grading will determine whether I vote for you or your party in the future.
Anyway for those of you who don’t know there are mutterings of this super opposition. I think in September we will get a clearer vision of if this becomes a reality. It would be fantastic to see it unfolding and becoming a reality and the best thing about it….there is talk of Dr Mamphele Ramphele leading this opposition party.
I guess time will tell, bit of food for thought and political excitement for some of us.
Anyway that’s me for another week.
Birthdays
28th Nigel
29th Marc, Paula, Franklin, Philip R
30th Randall Woodman
31st Mbere, Fats
1st Carnita Low
2nd Gorata Mugudamani
3rd Shannon
Hope you all have a fantastic weekend, travel safely and be kind to each other and you know what and this may sound so self promoting and self righteous and I guess you have every right to take it as such but its not the intention at all. Over the last few days right, I have been doing the whole giving thing for Lent, man and on Monday night I went to gym and after gym I remembered why I did it. So I am leaving and I see a group of guys outside KFC waiting for whatever, so I called em over and gave them a loaf of bread. A loaf of bloody bread, what no more than R5 cos its on special ;), the way they were so thankful man, it really made my day. Shows man that you don’t have to move mountains to change somebody’s world. It was nothing special, just a bit of a wee effort to sidestep to Pick n Pay. I should carry it on post Lent but I most probably wont, cos it is what it is but its given me much pleasure man and somebody has received some nutrition for a day, hour, whatever…it doesn’t take much at all
Anyway that’s me again
Maximum respect to you all
Y
Thursday, April 01, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whose morality is it anyway?
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
The world and people have become even more fascinating for an inquisitive soul like mine. Let's start with a simple question that most...
-
So he is a little story to tell. But to begin I need to provide a little context. First off, I am a man of faith, I am either physically a...
No comments:
Post a Comment